26

"Katie."

"Let her sleep, Haz. She'll wake up when she's ready."

"She's been out for two hours. She's not going to be able to sleep tonight."

"I'm awake," I croaked, feeling my cheeks burn as I cleared my throat.

"Sorry," Harry apologized quickly, taking a seat against my side as I stayed laying on the couch. I was aware of the fact that he put his warm hand on jean-clad thigh. He gave me a small, apologetic smile. "I just didn't want you to be up all night later."

"It's okay," I said softly. My throat and eyes felt like they were on fire. 

"How are you feeling, love?" Louis sighed, sitting down on the edge of the coffee table in front of where I was.

Like hell.

"I'm fine," I mustered, sitting up straight. I gave him a small smile, hoping that I could pull it off. I watched as he peeked over at Harry wearily. He was frowning.

"You don't have to hide what you're feeling, Katie," Harry disapproved, his frown deepening as his forehead creased with worry. "We know you're probably still hurt."

"I'm fine," I repeated monotonously. I had no energy left in me; the small fight with Niall over something so stupid had drained me. We hadn't even been "together" for two full days before we had a major fight, and that fact didn't comfort me at all.

"Okay..." Harry trailed questionably, shaking his head. "I just want you to know that it's okay to talk to us. We're here for you..."

"Thanks, but I'll be okay," I replied, except that time I didn't know if I was trying to convince them or myself.

"Katie..." Louis trailed, somewhat desperately.

"Where are the boys?" I asked, changing the subject. I really only wanted to know of Niall's whereabouts, but I didn't want them to know that.

"Liam and Zayn took Niall out for a while," Harry explained. I felt his hand on my thigh tighten in a reassuring squeeze. I ignored it. "You know, to let him blow off some steam."

I nodded, not knowing how to respond.

"He was really worked up," Louis commented, but it sounded like he was trying to hint at something. I looked at him, studying his face. What was he trying to say?

"He was?" I questioned, trying to get him to keep speaking. Had he talked to Niall?

"Yeah," he sighed, running a hand through his mess of hair as he let out a long exhale. "I've never seen him this upset before. He really is sorry, Katie."

"I don't..." I trailed, not knowing what to say. I wanted to forgive Niall, I did. But what he said hurt me. I wasn't going to go crawling back to him so soon. "I can't forgive him. Not yet... I don't want to talk to him yet."

"I understand," Louis nodded. "Just don't make him wait too long. He's going insane thinking about how he hurt you."

I sighed

**

I spent the day alone.

After talking with Louis and Harry for a bit I ended up grabbing my sketchbook and pencils and sitting in front of the window wall of the empty space underneath the stairs. Drawing took my mind away from reality for a while.

Harry and Louis would come to check on me from time to time, although Harry was more frequent. Every encounter was the same as the last. Either one of them would come and ask me if I was okay, I would say yes. They would ask if I needed anything, I would say no. They would say okay and I wouldn't say anything. Then they would leave.