29

"Are you sure you have everything?"

"Yes, Niall," I replied for the fifth time, hiking my backpack up onto my shoulders. Today was my first day of university, and yes, I was quite nervous, but I was starting to get the feeling that Niall was becoming more worried than I. "Stop worrying so much, I'll be fine."

"Why won't you just let me drive you?" He questioned, folding his arms over his chest, his flexed muscles under his tight tee-shirt making my heartbeat spike.

Goddamn.

"Because," I explained, rolling my eyes. "Normal university students don't get dropped off on campus by Niall Horan in an Audi R8 ," I looked at him pointedly.

He laughed loudly, stepping forward and grasped the straps of my backpack that were resting on my shoulders, pulling me toward him.

"Sweetheart," he chuckled, tucking a few strands of hair behind my ear, "you're anything but normal."

"Shut up," I laughed, pushing his hand away. He took hold of my arms in his large hands and wrapped them around his waist, before bringing his hands up to cup my cheeks.

"Fine," he said, his lips inches from my own. "We can take the Rover instead."

"Niall," I warned impatiently, pulling away from him and bending down to pull my shoes on. "I love you. Really, I do, but you're going to make me late."

"You're no fun," he pouted, leaning his shoulder against the wall next to me. "Are you going to be one of those serious, hardcore students? Because if you are, let me know now."

"Why does it matter?" I laughed. "Isn't that what I should strive for, anyway?"

"Yeah, of course," he reasoned, running a hand through his tousled, blonde hair. "But we only have a couple more weeks together before we can't see each other for a while. I want all the time with you that I can get."

"And you'll get it," I promised, standing up straight again in order to look Niall in the eyes. I sighed, "But Niall, you know that the only reason I came to London was for university. Falling in love with you was... unexpected, to say the least," I explained with a small laugh, realizing just how true that statement was.

Never in a million years would I have expected to have fallen in love with my best friend.

"But... getting into the school of my dreams, for the program I've been working so hard for," I explained, shaking my head as if I myself still couldn't believe it. "This is what I've always wanted. I want to be successful, and finish school and get my Masters degree. Maybe even my PhD. There are so many things that I want to accomplish. And I'll still make time for you; as much as I can, I promise. But I need to focus on my future right now."

"You sound like you're leaving me for good," he admitted, his voice strained. I looked up at him, holding his intense gaze. "Please tell me that's not what we're doing right now."

"I'm not leaving you for good," I chuckled, bringing my hand to the back of his neck to pull him toward me. I pressed a reassuring kiss to his lips, and he held me to him tightly, unwilling to let me go. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he replied lowly, so quiet I almost didn't catch it.

I smiled, pulling myself away from his body one last time and making my way toward the front doors. "Okay, I really have to go now. See you later, Ni!"

"Have a good day, sweetheart," I heard him call just before the door closed. My heart fluttered at the nickname.

Sweetheart.