STUNTS

ANNE

" We've landed Miss, " the skydiver who partnered up with me during the free fall dive was shaking my shoulders. 

I felt the ground beneath my feet and realized that what he said was true.

I let out a long breath as I collapsed on the grass field. 

I've never been so happy lying on the ground at that moment. I was suddenly grateful for the soil and grass and dirt and-

" You made it! " I heard Rachel's shrill voice and saw her kneeling beside me.

I quickly sat up and threw away my skydiving goggles. 

" How was it? " She wanted to know as she helped me stand up. " It looked pretty scary. "

It was freaking scary. I wanted to say but my heart was pounding loudly against my chest and talking was suddenly exhilarating.

We were out of the landing field when we heard footsteps from behind us. The next thing I knew, Chang has caught up with us.

Placing his arm around me, he grinned boyishly. " Wasn't that mind blowing, Anne?! "

He peeled his skydiving glasses off his face. " Didn't that just take your breath away?"

I nodded mutely still unable to calm my racing heart.

 He peered closely at me. " Are you okay? "

I could feel his breathing on my face. I was suddenly uncertain if the crazy pounding of my heart was because of adrenaline pumping into my body or the waft of Chang's aftershave.

" That was her first try at skydiving, " Rachel replied on my behalf. " So what do you expect? "

Chang chuckled and removed his arm from my shoulders.  " She's doing a great job, " he told Rachel.

He gave me a wink before sauntering off to the group of skydivers gathered at the waiting hall.

Jake, Lianne and Riwa congratulated me when I neared them, with the latter pulling me close for a tight hug.

" I was so scared for you, " the middle aged woman said.

Jake eyed me, raising an eyebrow. " You alright? "

I narrowed my eyes at him. 

He had the audacity to ask me that now? 

Rachel, once again, replied on my behalf. " Of course she's not alright. She just jumped off a helicopter. " 

" But there's really no need to be scared, " Lianne said before Jake can make a retort " The skydivers are professionals. "

Rachel folded her arms across her chest and smiled at Lianne sweetly. " I assume you've done skydiving? Let alone do it twice in a day? "

I saw Lianne clenched her jaw as she glared at my best friend.  " No, " she muttered.

" I thought so, " Rachel said airily.

From where I stood, I could see the daggers their eyes were both throwing at each other.

Jake cleared his throat to break the tension between his ex girlfriends. If my stomach wasn't churning and tying itself into knots, I would have laughed at the sight.

" I don't care if they're professionals, " Riwa spoke out shaking her head at disapprovingly. " I still don't feel comfortable watching Anne jumped out of the sky with only a knapsack and goggles on! "

I remembered Riwa's words three hours later as I stared dreadfully out of the helicopter.

" Are you okay? " I heard Chang shouting beside me.