MUSINGS

RACHEL

I shifted from where I was lying, thinking that I was in my bed, and suddenly felt myself falling.

My eyes immediately shot open when I realized that I was on the couch and gritted my teeth as I braced myself for impact.

But a firm arm held me in place and I was quickly pulled back on the couch, crashing against a the person whom I apparently shared the couch with.

" MmmmMmm, good morning beautiful, " a pair of black eyes greeted me.

I stared back at Jake's face in amazement, blinking twice to make sure that I wasn't dreaming or imagining things that happened last night.

" I'm real, Rach, " he chuckled softly and leaned forward to gently brush his lips against mine.

A smile crept up my face and I sleepily rested my chin on his chest as I continued to stare at him.

I've loved this man for as long as I can remember and after what went down between the two of us six years ago, I didn't think that he still cared deeply for me. Who would have thought that he'd suddenly show up in my apartment last night, professed his love and asked me to marry him.

We've spent the night really talking about things that we've been so afraid to talk about. He finally told me what happened in Italy, why he needed to go away six years ago. I realized that he was in such a bad shape when he left for Europe. He was stressed and overwhelmed with his responsibilities at MartinCorp, he was hurt and confused with our breakup, he was a mess and didn't know what he wanted to do with his life. I never knew about this. I've always thought he was partying and having the time of his life in Italy while I was miserable and heartbroken at home.

I told Jake about my depression after our breakup. Told him about Adrian and how he helped me cope with life after he left. And since we were being honest with our feelings, I confessed that what I had with Adrian was a rebound relationship and accepting his marriage proposal when I came back from Seoul was a way to forget him. But I've come to realize how unfair it was to Adrian and I couldn't possibly marry the guy if I was still in love with someone else.

" What are you thinking? " He asked curiously when I didn't say anything.

I held his gaze and asked softly, " What took you so long, Jacob? "

He chuckled as he took my hand and intertwined it with his.

" I'm sorry, " he said softly as he brought our hands closer to his face and kissed mine. " I know I said this last night but I'll say it again. I'm sorry I hurt you when I was trying to figure myself out. I'm sorry that I couldn't find the courage sooner to tell you how much you really mean to me. "

I looked at him smilingly and gently said. " All's forgiven. I'm just glad that you're here. "

I gasped when he suddenly lifted me on top of him, my face a few inches from his.

"J-jake! "

He was grinning from ear to ear. And then his smile slowly faded as he looked at me with a serious glint in his eyes.

" I was serious when I asked you to marry me last night, " he said quietly as he brushed strands of hair falling down my face.

" I was serious when I said yes, " I said softly.

The smile was back on his face again and he pulled my face closer for a long, sweet kiss.

" I love you, Rachel, " he murmured when we finally parted, catching our breaths.

" I love you too, Jacob, " I said as I looked down his handsome face. " I always have. "

We snuggled in the couch for a few more minutes, not wanting to start the day just yet. We've been apart for so long and we just wanted to stay in each other's arms, at least for a couple more hours.