[Prologue]

Edit 3/7/2023 - Hey, hey all! It's uhm, been a while! I am currently almost done pursuing my second Associate's degree at my college and I thought since I had a bit of time I would update this with the rewritten version! So here it is, hope you like it!

-------------------------

"GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE YOU RAT!" Shouted a man from across the darkened, wet street.

I ran as fast as I could. I stumbled as I ran down countless alleyways trying to escape my enraged clients. The ground was pitch black, not a street lamp in sight to illuminate my way. If it wasn't bad enough, I was being chased by my client's bodyguards. Two six-foot-five giants with a solid motivation to kill were chasing after me through the back alleys of Ikebukuro.

All the stumbling from not being able to see my path was slowing down my journey. The guards were picking up the slack, my movements were giving as they grew closer and closer to me. With the littlest bit of willpower I had left I sped up my pace. I increased the length of my run to acquire a larger distance. They seem to pick up on my strategy as they do the same thing, which didn't make my journey any easier than it was.

"Keep running Izaya, just keep running," is all I could tell myself at the moment.

It was until I heard the yell of another enraged man that made me almost stop in my tracks.

"The hell you say!" I heard the man scream.

The man wasn't in sight yet, but just the sound of his voice made me realize who it was. I looked behind me once more, the guards started stumbling a bit when they heard the sound. I saw the guards mumble to one another as they were pursuing me and it seemed like their movements soon came to a stagger.

"YOU WANT SOME MORE WHERE THAT CAME FROM PUNK, GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" The man unseen shouted once more.

It was then I realized the guards had completely backed up and retreated. Figuring they knew the sound of that voice just like I did. I then came to the realization that I would have to sneak around the angered beast or else victory would not be in my hands tonight.

Ikebukuro, the land so unforgiving, the land of the monster. My feet walked cautiously as I tried to scurry away to my humble abode. I tried to keep my ear out for any movements or sounds that were getting too close, in attempts I could hide before I was found. I avoided any streetlights as well, knowing I would be caught if the light shined on me.

In all my caution, I tripped over a bag of garbage in an alley behind the monster's place of work. I gasped a little, trying to regain my composure.

"Who's there?! Don't act like I didn't hear you!"

Probably thinking I was the same guy he was pushing out of his establishment, he charged to the scene. The monster has keen ears, I'll give him that. When he made it to the back of the business, it was like an old western movie. He and I are on opposite sides of the battlefield, our eyes piercing daggers into one another.

"Izaya...! I should have known I smelled a rat!"

"Hello~ Shizu-chan~" I reply, trying to get a rouse out of him.

"You damn flea. I thought you would never show up today. Just when I thought my night has gotten good. This is better. 100%." He smirked menacingly.

I switch my blade to be drawn as I approach the monster head-on, "Oh~ I'm glad I can make it the least bit better for you. All part of my plan~"

I get closer to him, blade now caressing his pale neck, "I just thought I'd come around and say 'Hi' to my favorite little monster. The strongest man of Ikebukuro."

He, being exceptionally taller than me, glares down in response to my statement. His smirk got larger as I realized I shouldn't have tangoed with Death tonight. He pushed me off of him, I stumbled back trying to catch my footing. Shizuo turned the corner from where he came from, I started to walk away. The altercation was over. Or so I thought.

"Who're you calling little, you tiny ass flea. You're nowhere near my height. Where do you get off making fun of me?"

I look behind me, to see the giant monster holding a vending machine. My eyes widened in horror as I tried to move from my spot. However, the fight with my client from earlier had completely exhausted me. I was looking at Shizuo in horror, backed into the middle of the alleyway. I shouldn't have picked a fight with Shizuo, the only thing I can do now is beg for mercy and forgiveness.

"Mock me one more time flea and I'll obliterate you!" Shizuo roared.

I was finally able to find the energy to completely stand up after being pushed to the ground. My whole body shook in terror. The vending machine was all I could think of. Just its weight hitting me while I'm in this condition is going to kill me.

"Any last words?" He says with menace.

He had to have known he has me pinned. I'm backed into a corner, with little energy to run. He was approximately 50 feet away, looming over me with his tall stature. It was over for me.

"P-p-please don't do it. I'm begg-" was the last I could get out, at that point most of my energy had been expended.

I stand there, hoping and praying to any god that Shizuo takes pity on me. With what I had left, I staggered as quickly as I could to try to get away. I heard the movement of the vending machine, I'm a goner. I was turned around from witnessing where the vending machine would hit, I just had to focus on the accuracy of the hit. I tried to jump out of the way, but it was no use.

My body was hit by the vending machine with its crushing weight. It hit my back and slightly bounced off, not crushing my body. What I saw next was my vision being pooled over by a black void. The only thing I could hear afterward was the sounds of footsteps and laughter trailing closer and closer until it faded into silence.

---------------------

Some of you have been wondering where I am and well... I'm here to tell you. I am pursuing an Associate of Science degree in graphic design and I am a small-time streamer on Twitch. You can catch me on Twitch at 9:30 PM EST Tuesdays through Thursdays if you ever wanted to "meet the author" and ask me some questions.

Yes, I will be willing to answer any questions about my fanfic content on stream so I hope to catch yall later! My Twitch username is MichiYumi. Catch you on the flipside, possumbabs. Yes, that is my audience name now. Don't ask questions!