Chapter Two

Zoe called me at six-thirty in the morning to drop her off at work because her car wouldn’t start, that was the third time this month. I’ve been telling her to get a new one for ages but she “loved it so much” she didn’t want to let it go. That car is so old I’d have a heart attack if they can find parts for it. Now she doesn’t have money saved to put a down payment on a new car. Her brother needed money for surgery and she emptied out her bank account to him.

            I got into my car and drove twenty minutes into the city to pick her up. I knew she was sorry for having to wake me up but I was honestly too tired to care about anything. I just wanted to drop her off at the hospital, go back home and right back to my big, warm, and comfy bed so I can dream about him some more. Just like last night and every other night since I last saw him I haven’t been able to get him out of my head. I don’t know him and already I’m addicted to him. There must be something special about him to have me like this. I don’t know what it is but I want to find out.

            “Dominic!”

            “What the fuck Zoe? You know I hate it when you do that!”

            “Sorry but you zoned out, no need to be angry with me I already told you that I’m sorry for waking you up”

            I sighed. I wasn’t angry I just really hate to be frightened. “I already told you it’s fine. Come on, I need to go back to sleep. I’ll pick you up when your shift is over”

            She nodded then leaned over to kiss my cheek. “I love you”

            “I love you too. ” Just by looking at her walking with her hands stuffed in the pockets of her scrubs with her head down I know she thought I was upset with her. To make it worst I cursed and yelled at her. Feeling like shit, I drove to a Dunkin Donut, bought her a large cup of coffee with an egg and sausage sandwich. It’s always a hassle to use the hospital parking lot so I parked on the street and walked into the hospital.

            “I’m just going to give these to Zoe,” I told one of the guards at the front desk so that I wouldn’t have to sign in as a visitor. They know me here since I often visit Zoe but nurses and doctors along with other staff members are fans of my work. I’m sure Zoe made them buy my book. I went into the elevator and up to the fifth floor where I know she’ll be working today.  “Hey, Chip!” I called to her as I saw her walking down the hall. Chip is a nickname I gave her when we were little because she had an obsession with anything chocolate chip. She turned around so fast it’s a miracle she didn’t fall. I smiled and waved the cup that was in one hand and the bag with the sandwich that was in the other. She ran up to me, going on her tippy toes and throwing her arms around my neck. “I’m not mad,” I assured her. She pulled away smiling at me. I hand her the food but not before kissing her on her lips. The only woman I do that to and only in rear occasions. “Have a good day, Chip”

            “Sleep well, Dom.” I waved goodbye to her and her coworkers that I’ve become familiar with then went back to my car then headed home to sleep.

            When I woke up around eleven I decided that I wasn’t going to get revenge on Zoe for taking me to a strip club but speed up her birthday present instead. When I picked her up after her shift and even though I was late she was happy and I was glad. With a lot of protest I managed to get her to put on a sleep mask with the elastic in the back.

            On the way to where I plan on taking her she kept apologizing for taking me to a strip club, probably thinking I’m going to do something evil to her.