Bonus Chapter: Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas !!!!!

The sound of small feet pattering the hallway made Rye and I pull away from each other. They knocked and when we gave them permission to come in.

"Daddy! Papa! It's Christmas! You guys have to get up!" Dominique yelled happily, her and her brother jumping on the bed.

"Why?" I asked, feigning ignorance.

"Because, daddy! We gotta open our presents!"

"We what, Nicolai?"

He bent his head, embarrassed, "We have to open our presents."

Rye grabbed him and tickled him.

"Okay, big guy we're up."

"It snowed!" Dominique added happily. "Can we go and play?"

"I don't think Grandpa would want to miss out on that or the presents..."

With that said, they shared looks and were bounding out of her bed towards their grandpa's room.

"We're lucky," Rye said after awhile.

"We are," I agreed.

There have been times when I woke up and had to check that Rye was next to me and he was breathing, and then I had to go check on the kids that they were all right. I got to love the most beautiful man I've ever laid eyes on and share a family with him. I got to wake up with this fierce feeling of love and protectiveness threatening to split my chest. And then Dad, who has been the best father I thought I lost and the best grandfather I never thought my children would get to have. And their grandmother is there, too, but Rye handled that. I cannot say for my father but I haven't spoken to her for many years now. Yes, I do wish things were different, but she chose this for herself. And if my husband weren't a good man, my mother would've never known her grandchildren.

"Babe?"

"Coming," I said.

My husband grabbed my hand as soon as I was within reach. Dad and the kids were ahead of us chatting away, Nicolai clinging to one hand and Dominique to the other.

The kids wanted to give their presents first. They were obviously proud of whatever they got when they went shopping with Dad.

Dominique and Nicolai got her Papa an apron that read: Domi and Nico said to kiss the cook. It was the cutest fucking thing ever. Rye gave her as many kisses as he could before she was pulling away and handing me my gift. It was from her and Nicolai. It was a mug with a quote, something I've always said to them even before they could talk: there are not enough words to express my love for you, but I do, love you. And they said it to me sometimes too. It was perfect.

We finished with the presents then we went to change into warmer clothes. We built a snowman then Dad and the kids made snow angels. I took more pictures than I'll know what to do with them.

For breakfast Rye made us hot chocolate with marshmallows, except for Nicolai and his grandfather, and he made finger food as we sat by the fireplace to warm up. Dad told them some stories he told me as a kid. He got them some of the books he and I used to read together, too. To top today off, we'll be heading over to the Martin-Cartwright household later.