1. Honey v Stone

After a long working day, which wasn't over yet, Lucas Mahoney lay sprawled out on a stretcher recovering from a couple of quick laps in the pool. The equipment manager of the hotel where he was employed frowned upon the use of the facilities by staff, but in his absence the boy had seen his chance clean.
The pool was wonderfully cooling and he had, due to the late time, his fair choice of resting places. There was an hour left of his leisure time before he had to report for the evening shift. Just to be safe, he turned on the timer on his phone. A heavy fatigue sank in his bones as he surrendered to sleep.

When his timer went off, he reached sleepy to the right. There, his hand bumped into an obstruction that hadn't been there 30 minutes ago. Bewildered, he looked at the little boy who had nestled in his arms.
After a moment of doubt, he recognized the blonde boy. He had spent most of the week with the activity team. With a hot flash, he remembered the extremely attractive dad who picked him up.
"Jacob?", he said softly to the three-year-old toddler who was getting closer to him. "Jacob, wake up."

"Honey?", he heard sleepy.
A small smile broke through on Lucas's face.
An older female colleague had a habit of addressing team members with; Honey. On the little boy's tour, the word was pronounced regularly. The three-year-old had looked at him with big eyes.
"Honey", he had said when Lucas was finally introduced to him.
Any attempt to make it clear to him that his name was Lucas yielded nothing. After three days, he'd just left it that way.

As required, each child under the age of twelve wore an ID bracelet. The bracelet had a barcode. This is to protect the privacy of the hotel guests.
His older sister Lizzy- or no Beth as she now wanted to be called - worked at the counter where the bracelet could be scanned.
After assuring that there was nothing wrong with the little boy, he rushed to the counter. The last thing he wanted was to be late for his shift. Like a monkey, Jacob held on to him.

"This is so typical of you, Bean", was her sighing reproach when seeing the little boy in his arms." As always, you are a magnet for the helpless and lost of this world. Even such a small crumb can find you blindly."
Impatiently, she scanned the bracelet.
"This is Jacob Stone. He's staying here with his father, Dylan Stone."
Her face pulled away somewhat when reading the information that appeared on the screen.
"His mother died a few months ago."
Shocked, Lucas pulled Jacob closer to him.

Their parents were killed when he was 10. Along with the then 15-year-old Lizzy, he was taken in by an aunt. Five years later, a heart attack had claimed her life and they were alone in the world. They had been living together for a year now and Lucas did his best to accommodate his hard-working sister in the cost of living.
She lied through her teeth about his age to human resources. With his athletic body and smooth personality, the 16-year-old could easily pass for eighteen. Until now, there was no one who doubted this.

"Give me to him. I'll bring him to his suit," she said stretching out her arms.
Jacob's narrow arms tightened around his neck.
"Lucas!" She pointed angrily at his bathing suit. "You know you can't use the hotel's facilities," she rebuked him when she saw the unsympathetic look. "If anyone recognizes you, we can pack our things."
Unfortunately, he had to acknowledge the wisdom of her words and released Jacob from his arms. There was a slight protest, but he almost immediately fell asleep on Lizzy's shoulder.
"Go ahead. I'll take care of this," she addressed him sternly.

Lucas ran to the room he shared with his sister, where he quickly showered and dressed. In the nick of time, he clocked in for his shift.
Every evening entertainment was arranged for the guests. There was plenty of variety to keep it interesting even for guests who stayed longer. The evenings were therefore very busy. His work consisted of serving drinks and snacks, clearing tables and cleaning.

Despite trying to carry out his task as quietly as possible, he stood out. In the black waiter suit his sun-tanned skin and slender stature showed itself at its most advantageous. Combined with his copper-blonde hair and emerald green eyes, he soon became a favorite with the cougars present, who took in him without hesitation.