Chapter 17 Take me to church

The snow was barely there, but enough to make me sentimental. It was Christmas and my first Christmas not spend alone. I mean, my parents would celebrate with me until I was 5, if you can even call a drunk hour of throwing gifts at my face a celebration, but I don't really remember much of that time. After that, they were never there and just simply let the maid buy my gifts. It was a pretty tough time, especially when I would go to school after the break and everybody would tell their heartwarming stories about how Santa visited them. I never got a visit from Santa. 

And now a family would actually celebrate Christmas in a very traditional manner with me. Even though I wasn't very found of that family, this being my aunt, uncle and my two darlings, whom are the only two I actually wanted to spend my holidays with, I was kind of excited. When the butler bought a big Christmas tree for the mansion, we kids actually were allowed to help the maids decorate it. When I was little, we also had a Christmas tree, but always had somebody professionally decorate it for us and I was never allowed to go near the tree as I, a child, could ruin it. 

I even got them all a gift for Christmas, that I would put under the Christmas tree. For Julie, I got her a beautiful collection of all the Nancy Drew books, Tommy scored himself an earring and a needle. Yes, he desperately wanted an earring, but his mother, of course, didn't allow him to get one at a piercer, so I did some research and learned how to pierce, so I could do it for him. Edward I simply got a new chain for his pocket watch that he wanted, but never got around to actually buying it and Louis I got an apron, as a joke. She obviously never cooks or bakes, but acts like she's the perfect housewife and I just found myself very funny. 

I debated long, if I should buy Nathan something. Things with him were a little rocky at the moment. He was pretty confused after our heart to heart in my backyard about three weeks ago and he stopped coming around. He didn't ignore me, like before. We exchanged words in class or the hallways and sometimes at lunch. But that was about it. Every time I asked him to hang out after school, he had another excuse. But he also didn't really hang out with David or Mary-Jane, which worried me. He just always was very quick to rush home, as if he was afraid of something. I wanted to confront him about it, but I never got the chance to do so. And he was friendly and happy around me, so I didn't understand what was going on behind those beautiful blond strains of hair of his. 

He did a lot of work at the church, especially now that his brother was in charge of the one we had been together at, he seemed to be under immense stress. I tried to get him to talk about it, but he always just played it off. I didn't like it, but what could I do? These past few days I hadn't heard from him at all. He didn't go to school the last day before the winter break and when I tried to call his house, only his sister or brothers would answer, saying that he was at church with his father and brother. I asked them to give him a message, but he never called me back. 

Nevertheless, I decided to get him a present. He was my Nathan after all, my love, and I wanted to make him happy, even though I might only get to give it to him after the break and in between classes. I searched a lot for the perfect gift for Nathan and when I saw it, I immediately knew, just like when I saw Nathan for the first time, this was the one. It cost me a bit, but I didn't care. This was my Nathan after all and he deserved the world. Surely his parents wouldn't give him much for Christmas, since they had a lot of children and now even a grandchild. He would love it, hopefully. 

"Jesse, we have to get going in 10 minutes, come on boy" I heard my uncle call from the hallway. I frowned at that, because it was Christmas Day and we had nowhere to go. After all, it was already 4 pm, which meant that we would have a nice Christmas dinner soon or whatever their tradition here in America was. I opened my door, just to see Edward trying to tie his tie. He was wearing a suit and knocking now even on Tommy's door. "Tommy come on, we have to hurry if we want to get a good seat at the front" he called and I was so confused right now. Tommy's door swung open, revealing a very annoyed Tommy and I could just tell that he was hungover. His parents never noticed it before, even though it was so painfully obvious.