Chapter 14 - Take my hand

"I-I don't know J-Jesse... I don't think they w-would like me that much" Micah stuttered, looking a little uncomfortable, which wasn't my intention, when I had asked him to spend lunch with me and Nathan and the possibility of Mary-Jane showing up, because she missed her loving and caring boyfriend oh so much. I would make sure, David stayed away from us. Never ever would I put Micah through a lunch with the bully, that more or less killed his best friend. Hell, I didn't even want to have lunch with him, not even before I knew that, so that wouldn't be too difficult for me. 

"Nathan will love you, I promise, he isn't as bad as his friend. He is actually pretty cool and sweet. Mary-Jane is awful, but I can just tell her go away. I don't like her much. But Nathan is great.. yeah" I finished, staring dreamingly into the nothingness, thinking about the shape of Nathans lips, his smile, his laughter and just his whole being. 

That was, until I heard a soft and faint chuckle from Micah, who was getting the books out of his locker. "What?" I asked and he smiled to himself. 

"Sounds like you like him" he smiled and I blushed. 

"Uhm I-" I wanted to defend myself, but then I remembered, that it was just Micah and that I could be honest with him. After all, he hadn't judged Danny and he didn't say it in a judgmental way. "I do. He's just... he's Nathan. I really like him" I smiled and Micah quietly shook his head in amusement. 

"The boy who runs the christian committee. Seems a bit hopeless, don't you think?" Micah chuckled and I loved how he was finally able to talk to me so freely. He was still pretty shy and rarely talked at all, but I think he felt more comfortable around me. I smiled and shrugged my shoulders "One can still hope" I smiled and he chuckled. Yeah, one could only hope. I know, I know, he's straight. But still, hope kept me at bay. 

"So what do you say?" I asked cheerful, now that I finally told another person, that I liked Nathan, besides him, who somehow still thought I was joking, especially after the kiss. But whatever floats his boat. Micah seemed a bit hesitant and nervous, but finally nodded his head. "Ok... W-Will you pick me up at my classroom?" he asked. I smiled. "Of course. Like always, remember?" I asked and Micah nodded shyly. I couldn't hide my smile. Micah was like a little brother to me and now two of my favorite people in this godforsaken town would finally meet. Maybe Nathan would finally understand, why Micah was such an important person in my life and could apologize to him, for not stopping David. 

But we would have to see. It had to come from his heart and not my pleading or guilt tripping him. So as I walked Micah to his next class, I couldn't help but wonder, if this was really a good idea or not. But I really wanted them to get along. Even if Nathan would just stay my friend, he was still very important to me and so he should get along with Micah. We were just walking around a corner, on our way to his classroom, when suddenly, a big guy, who I think I had chemistry with, stood in front of us. 

He was tall and probably a jock, but I hadn't cared enough about him before, to know that for sure. He definitely was the type though. He had a big smirk on his face and looked directly at Micah, who gasped, grabbing a handful of my shirt in fear, probably recognizing that arsehole. Oh my god, can't the poor boy catch a break? But it had been a few days since one of the jocks at least called Micah an ugly name, so this was long coming for us. 

"Hello faggot. Got yourself a boyfriend to look after you, heh?" the jock scoffed, blocking the way for us. Immediately, he had my blood boiling, just at that ugly word. 'Faggot'. I hated it more than any other mean word towards me and my community. It was just so casual and used way too often and it was still not even nearly ok. 

"Brad or Chad or whatever the hell your name is, could you just move and spear us all the time and energy?" I asked an the guy was now looking at me, angry and clenching his jaw. Suddenly, two more big guys appeared behind him. Oh man, this was going to be ugly.