Chapter 3 - Hunting Butterflies

I was waiting impatiently by my car. Nathan wanted to meet me here today after school, so we could spend the day together and he could observe how I acted, what I liked to do and so on, for the assignment. Maybe it really was only for the project, but something told me, Nathan actually wanted to get to know me. And not just because he was being nice. Being nice didn't require dropping his precious girlfriend for a day, who was really furious about the fact, that he would be spending so much time with me. 

To be honest, I was actually a bit nervous. Not only would I show Nathan my world, but we would simply be spending time together and that alone. I definitely had a crush on that boy already. But how couldn't you?? He was just too good and pure to hang out with that bimbo and Mister Muscles. Luckily, I was able to avoid those two today. 

The bell had already rang and kids were coming out of the school, but there was no sign of Nathan. Everybody that passed me, stared at the car like it was a bloody UFO. I guess for some, this kind of expensive car was unbelievable, especially since they were so close to it, but it was no red Porsche like Tommy's car right next to mine. That kid was truly spoiled. And yes, I see the irony, since I was not better than him, yeah I know! I think if it wasn't me, leaning against the car, they would have probably asked to touch it or stuff. Maybe they even thought it wasn't my car, but I was just such a hobo, that I would lean against somebody else's expensive car. 

Finally, I saw Nathan running out of the school, carefully squeezing past the other students. I had to chuckle, since it reminded me of yesterday and how cute he looked all out of breath, hair messy, cheeks red. Nathan stopped in the middle of the parking lot, looking around and searching for me. I waved, trying to get his attention and when I succeeded, his eyes widened about two times their actual size. For a second I was worried, that I had done something wrong or wore a big fat sign that read 'I'M GAYYY', but I wasn't, so I didn't understand his reaction at first. But after a second, Nathan made his way over to me, grabbing the holders of his backpack with his thumps and looking a little nervous or maybe just astound. Oh why did everything he did made my heart feel so giddy? 

"Uhm Jesse? Is this your car?" Nathan asked with big eyes, coming closer to where I was standing. He didn't say it in a way that indicated, that he also thought I was weird enough to sit on some stranger's car, but he said it more in disbelieve, that I would buy something like that. At least that's what I thought. "Yeah it is" I said awkwardly, a little unsure of his reaction. Did he think it was stupid to spend so much money on something like this? Did he hate it? 

"Woah" Nathan breathed, his hand reaching for the car, but he stopped himself, looking at me with big eyes before asking "Can I- can I touch it?" Oh my god Nathan, if you keep looking at me like that, I will just steal you away from here. 

"Sure" I chuckled. I watched as Nathan's hand reached the car and carefully, as if he was afraid his fingertips would turn into needles, that could scratch the paint, he let his hand brush the cold metal as if it was pure silk. "Wow" he breathed and my smile only grew. 

"You like it?" I asked and my stomach was doing backflips, as Nathans blue eyes met mine. He almost looked like he couldn't even believe, that I was asking him that. Oh baby, if you keep looking at me like that, I might just give the car to you. Wow, I sound like an eighty year old man, trying to get a twenty year old girl. Thankfully, Nathan couldn't read my mind. Well at least I hoped he couldn't. 

"I love it! I have always dreamed of seeing a Dodge Challenger and this color is...wow. Sorry, I'm drooling over here" he chuckled awkwardly, but I just had to smile even more. "You really think its cool?" I asked, still a little insecure, although it was just a car. A car I damn loved already. And to think that Nathan and I already shared an interest, made me incredibly happy. "Well yes of course! This is amazing!" Nathan breathed, looking at the car as if it was the best thing he had ever seen in his life.