Chapter 8 - a suit

Water is splashing around the whole room as they push my father's head into the old bucket with cold water. I cry, telling them to stop while yinsen stands on my right, making sure that I don't make any wrong moves.

They pull his head out and I watch as he tries to breath in right before he gets shoved down once again. This time I start shouting,"Just stop! I beg you."

One of the armed men near me takes his gun out and points it directly at me. He talks in a language I'm not familiar with and Yinsen explains that he wants me to be quiet. Scared of the gun, I do as he says and watch as they continue torturing my father.

Why couldn't he just say yes.

Dad's head gets pulled out again and then the chubby man bends down and looks at him with raised eyebrows. I hope that he finally agrees to end his misery but not even in this situation, he can let go of his ego, so he hisses out another,"No."

He motions the other men to take him away and they follow his orders. Dad gets thrown away against the wall and I watch as he tries to stand up.

And then the leader of this group turns around to me and slightly tilts his head.

Next thing I know I get pressed down into the cold water. I try to get up but with every movement my shoulder hurts. They pull me up and I'm finally able to catch some air but without hesitation I get dunked again. When I finally get to breathe again, I can hear distant shouting of my father and right before it torture happens once more, he yells,"Fine!"

I look at him as I breathe heavily and with a calmer voice he explains,"Let's talk about the details."

They let me go and I get shoved away. Dad tries to reach me but then all weapons get directed at him. He pulls his hand up, explaining,"I only want to go to my daughter."

The leader nods his head and they let him go. He grabs my arms and I hold onto him as I wince at the pain of my shoulder. He whispers,"I'm so sorry."

I just give him an understanding nod. He helps me up and still holds onto me, making sure that I am alright. The man motions towards the door and together we walk outside.

I feel the sun on my skin and breathe in the fresh air. I soak in the warmth, enjoying every bit of being outside before we get locked up in our cave again. I squint my eyes as I look around me. There are many tables filled with thousands of weapons, materials and plans. Many armed men are waiting there, protecting everything and watching us precisely. I glance at my father and he looks a bit horrified. I grab his arm and hold onto it as we keep walking.

Yinsen translates,"He wants to know what you think, Stark."

"I think he has a lot of my weapons," Dad replies with slight anger in his voice. I think he just starts to understand what consequences his weapon manufacturing has.

"He says that you have everything to build the Jericho missile. He wants you to make a list of materials. He says for you to start working immediately and when you are done, he will set you free."

The leader of the group stretches his hand out for dad and with a fake smile upon his lips, he shakes it. I look as I mumble,"No, he won't."

"No, he won't."

We are back in the cave, sitting on some benches as we all wear beanies and wrap ourselves up in blankets, which the kidnappers provided for us. It must be night time now and that's when it gets cold around here. In the middle is a fire which is supposed to warm us up as we watch the flickering flames dancing in the dark.