Chapter Twelve

The next day, school dragged by at a snail's pace and by the time I parked in my parking space at the apartment, I was completely drained and ready for a nap. Thankfully today was my one day off at the shop. My bed was calling my name and I wasted no time going up the stairs and into my apartment.

    I dropped my bags right inside the door and kicked off my shoes. When the door slammed shut, I started to pull my shirt off.

    "Now that's the way to greet a person!"

I froze with my shirt halfway over my head. Slowly, I lowered it, peering over to find Jensen lounging on my couch. I pulled my shirt the rest of the way down and smiled shyly.

    I can't believe I had forgotten that he was supposed to move in today.

    "Sorry, luv. I didn't realize it would come as a shock to find me here," he shifted into a sitting position, a frown pulling at his lips.

    "No. No, it's fine. I just had a long day and am exhausted. I'm glad you're here. Really." I walked over and sat down beside Jensen, smiling at him. He searched my face for a moment, but I was being honest. I was really glad he was here. "Did you get everything moved okay?"

    "I didn't have much, but yes. I'm even unpacked." He was smiling now and I felt relieved.

    "You don't work today?" I knew he was scheduled to.

    "No. I took the day off," he smiled. "I knew it wouldn't take long to move, but I didn't want to rush around either."

    "Oh." Was all I said.

    We sat in awkward silence and the need to escape was clawing at me. I needed a moment to get my head together.

Hopefully, that would wash away any leftover shock at seeing him here. Without a word, I stood and headed for my room. I wanted to change out of my jeans anyway and it was the perfect excuse for escape.

    Once inside my room, I gave myself a mental shake. I could do this. It didn't have to be weird, and I knew that the awkwardness would eventually go away once we got more used to being around each other every day.

    A knock startled me out of my thoughts and I started at the door, my nerves on end. I took a deep breath to calm myself before calling 'come in' to him. Jensen pushed the door open and smiled at me.

    "All right, luv?" Why do I love the way he says that? It's not natural.

I decided to play dumb.

    "Of course," I said, smiling. "Just wanted to put something comfortable on. What's up?"

    "Just wanted to know what you wanted for dinner. I'm cooking." He leaned against the door frame, eyes on me.

    "Surprise me," I said, meeting his eyes.

We'll just pretend I wasn't just checking him out and it really didn't matter what he cooked. I would probably eat dirt if he said he made it for me.

    "You got it, luv." He pushed off the frame and headed back down the hall.

    I quickly changed into a pair of sleep shorts and pulled my hair into a messy bun before heading into the kitchen to join him. I stopped at the bar and tried to hide a smile.

Jensen looked so domestic in the kitchen. It was one more thing about him that clashed with his playboy persona.

    "Need any help?" I called, as he made short work of finding everything he needed. I wasn't surprised since this wasn't the first time he's cooked for me in my... er... our kitchen.