Chapter Six

I was laying on the couch reading a book when there was a knock on the door. I knew it probably wasn't Saw because she hadn't knocked in a while. She barged on in and announced herself.

So, with caution, I walked over to the door and looked through the peephole, but only saw black.

    "Who is it?" I called.

    "If I wanted you to know, I wouldn't have covered the peephole, luv." A very smooth and very English voice replied.

    My eyes widened and I took a step back from the door as if it were on fire. I looked down at my clothes and tried not to panic. I was only in a sports bra and my favorite holy sweats and there was no way I would answer the door in that.

    "Ah, just... just a second," I called and sprinted down the hall, into my room. I stripped and rummaged through my closet, looking for something more presentable to wear.

    I froze when I heard the front door open, then close again. I walked over to my bedroom door and peeked my head out. Jensen was standing by the door, looking around.

    "What are you doing?" I asked, trying to keep my half-naked body hidden on the other side of the bedroom door.

    He arched an eyebrow at me.

    "What are you doing, luv?"

    "Putting clothes on, which is why I said to give me a second," I chided him.

    A devilish grin spread across his face and he took a step towards me.

    "Need a hand?" His voice was husky, sending a shiver down my spine.

    "I, uh..." Most definitely needed a hand. I cleared my throat and reminded myself that he was like this with everyone and it meant nothing. "I don't, um, no thanks." I retreated into my room, closing the door before he could see the redness spreading across my cheeks. I took a moment to gather myself, then continued finding something to wear.

    A few minutes later, I emerged in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I figured casual was the best way to play it safe. I didn't want him thinking I was trying to dress up for him. I made my way down the hall and when I turned the corner into the living room, I found Jensen standing by my bookshelf looking at my books.

I stopped behind the recliner, watching him as he browsed the shelves. He picked one up, flipped it over to read the back.

    "Do you like to read?" I asked, startling him.

    When he jumped he dropped the book and it hit the floor with a thud. He whipped his head around to look at me and I couldn't suppress a smile. He looked like a deer caught in headlights.

    "Sorry," I giggled, walking over to him.

    I stooped down and picked the book up, then handed it back to him, waiting to see if he would answer my question.

    "Yes, but I rarely get the chance and I don't have a lot of books," he said, eyeing my shelves. They were pretty impressive.

    "Feel free to take what you want," I offered. "Just don't forget where you got them." I winked playfully, but I was serious. I loved my books and didn't want to lose any of them.

    "Thanks," he said, tucking the book in his hand under his arm. "Your place is nice."

    "Thanks," I said, smiling up at him. "So, did you just come over to check out a book or...?" I let the question hang.

    His brows furrowed for a moment, then his eyebrows went up.

    "Right," he chuckled. "We're all at Saw's having drinks and playing cards. Saw told me to come and collect you even if I have to drag your arse over there."