“I hope you are having fun with your mystery love, since you left the house because of him” I said bitterly.

Kath looked at me coldly, “I don’t want to fight Dave but you can’t force me to say what I don’t want to”. I ignored her and looked away but deep in my mind, I knew I didn’t want to fight with her either. Why can’t we just go back to the way we were?

Ayo joined us with the tattoo artist. “Take a seat and pick a design” the tattoo artist said, “or do you have a particular design in mind?”.

Kath took a seat, “I’m not sure, just let me see”. The tattoo artist nodded, “okay, just let me get the ink. Black or other colors?”.

“Black please” Kath said and began looking at the design in the book. The tattoo artist left to get his drill or ink or whatever. I peered into the book.

“hmm, will this hurt?” Kath asked sounding uncertain.

“Yes, a lot” Ayo answered blatantly.

“Will she get infections?” I found myself asking.

“Nah, Kome is a professional tattoo artist. He knows what is doing” Ayo said confidently.

“Okay, I think I know what I want to do” Kath said certain, “a rose on my back. It is simple and artistic. A lot of meanings lie in a rose”. I wasn’t too keen on the whole tattoo thing so I said nothing. The tattoo artist returned with his tools.

“have you decided?” he asked. Kath nodded and showed him a rose in the book. She answered, “yes, I want a rose. It should be drawn on my back and It should be horizontal”.

“Okay” he nodded and started his work. Kath removed her jacket and revealed her back. “Try not to flinch, it will ruin the tattoo” the tattoo artist warned.

“Okay” Kath nodded and the tattoo artist started his work. At first, Kath looked in pain but her face relaxed after a while. I watched the tattoo artist do his work and I got to admit, it was interesting to watch.

He was almost done when I got a call. It was Sandra. “Excuse me” I said and left the building.

•|•|•

Kath’s POV.

I looked at Dave’s leaving figure. “Tattoo artist? I also want you to add something” I said.

“What is it?”. I gestured for the tattoo artist to bring his ear and I whispered what I wanted to him. He nodded and said, “it is possible”.

“Okay, do it” I said, breathing in relief. The tattoo artist nodded and continued. Ayo looked at me curiously. I looked at him innocently, “what?”.

He raised an eyebrow amused, “you are not going to tell me?”. I looked away and said dismissively, “it’s not important”. The tattoo artist finished the tattoo quickly and Dave was still not back. Where is he? Has he gone?

I got up and turned my back to the mirror. I admired the fine calligraphy the tattoo artist used to write the words I requested him to write. “It’s beautiful” I smiled.

“Yeah Katherine, you look so bad ass now” Ayo grinned boyishly. I chuckled and tried to cover it. The tattoo artist stooped me, “no, let it get some air, then you can cover it up”.