𝘿𝙚𝙘𝙚𝙢𝙗𝙚𝙧

"𝙔𝙤𝙪'𝙧𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙚𝙣𝙩 '𝙣𝙚𝙖𝙩𝙝 𝙢𝙮 𝙘𝙝𝙧𝙞𝙨𝙩𝙢𝙖𝙨 𝙩𝙧𝙚𝙚"

-

𝘿𝙚𝙘𝙚𝙢𝙗𝙚𝙧 9𝙩𝙝

We all sat around the weakened woman, who lay on the hospital bed in a quiet suffering. She's lived past her life expectancy sure but at what cost? She may still be breathing but was she really alive? How she acted and how she was I didn't exactly think so. Her hands cold and clammy, her once vibrant plump face that only had a few wrinkled and lines was unnaturally pale, lines traced every centimetre and inch of her face. Her once healthy raven locks with only a thick line of silver now was mostly discoloured, disheveled and out of place. Her strong expressions and tones she could barley muster, she was tired and no matter how long she slept she wouldn't be getting better. This would be the last state I'd see her, we'd see her, a shell of her former self. We all wanted her to survive but she was in pain, every waking minute of her existence was never comfortable anymore.

If she wasn't in pain she was numb, to the little gestures we'd do. Watch a movie or bake her a pastry she wouldn't be herself, joyful and appreciative. She would barley speak a word, or more accurately, couldn't speak a word. And we saw how destroyed she was when she couldn't tell us how proud she was when we wouldn't burn the bottom of the croissant or laugh when the funniest parts of the movie arose. She couldn't even do that, it would be beyond selfish to force her to stay alive when she was like this. I wondered myself, with how she was now, was she just already dead?

Tears, hadn't stopped since this morning, the day she chose to be euthanized. My heart pounded so loud I could barley hear my own thoughts, as much as we didn't want it she had told us "Por mucho que los ame a todos ustedes, no puedo vivir así. Siento que me pongo peor cada día, duele demasiado. Lo siento." And we had to let her do it, it would be selfish to try and drag out her life with Mamá like this. So... Frail, and weak. I just wished I could spend another Christmas, my mind flashed back to all the holidays and events we'd spend together. All those memories that would spark such positive emotion made me now want to rip out my heart... Cry until I couldn't cry anymore. It became bittersweet, it solidified even more that those days were over. No matter how hard I or Alex tried, together or separate we couldn't turn back the clock. I suppose, having that realization made me appreciate even more the time I spend with people. Alex, Mamá... Audrey, Calvin, Kyle, Ryan... My mother, father and brother... They're so precious to me, I would take on the world for any one of them. 

[ As much as I love all of you, I can't live like this. I feel myself become worse each day, it hurts too much. I'm sorry. ]

"Lo siento, tenía que llegar a esto..." She apologized to us, eyes welling even the slightest bit... She was so stiff, she could barley move, she even had a hard time even saying that phrase. "Mamá, no. no te disculpes, nada es tu culpa." Alex's sister told her, brushing her hair out of her face from her side.  We all surrounded her bed, they moved her to this more closed off room. It was just the family... And the doctor. She was dressed in one of her favourite outfits and we made sure to do her hair all nice. But no matter what we did, she still seemed so... Dead. My heart stung in agony as I clung onto Alex, I could barley look her in the eyes. We both cried onto each other, I held him as tightly as I could, smothering my face into his buttoned up shirt. We all wore some of our nicest things, just for her to close the lights seeing her loved ones all nice and proper. Even Alex removed his beanie just for her, seeing his burnt umber locks I had styled for him this morning. I did the best I could, considering I've been a sobbing mess for a while now. But I put all my effort into making it look the best it could be.

[ I'm sorry, it had to come to this... - Mom, no. Don't apologize, nothing is your fault. ]

"Y/n..." Her scratchy voice called out to me, I pulled away from Alex in a flash. Gently grabbing onto her hand, rubbing her knuckles with my thumbs I looked into her longing eyes. And for the first time in about a month, and probably will be the last time I'd see it. She smiled, a genuine happy smile. My chest compressed as all air seemed to be caught in my lungs, but shakily I managed to make out, "Sí mamá...?" She weakly motioned me closer so I then did what she asked, slowly coming closer to her. "Tú y yo sabemos que sabes lo que se siente arrepentirse, ¿no?" I slowly nodded, one of my biggest regrets hitting me in the face now... I wish, that I could just have more time... Even just an hour of her being her strong happy self... That's all I wanted at this moment. "Ese sentimiento, tan amargamente terrible como nos atormenta para siempre... Por favor, querida, no te arrepientas de nada. Porque mira ahora, estás en casa." I sniffled as new tears fell out my reddened eyes and down my plump cheeks. She motioned me closer even more, and then weakly pushed me forwards, letting my head rest on her chest as her arms rested limply on my back. "Cuida de Alex, ¿de acuerdo? Y asegúrate de cuidar de ti mismo también. Te quiero, mi niña." I sniffled as I held onto her, not too tightly as to hurt her but firm enough I couldn't easily be pried off. "¡Te quiero, mamá! Te prometo..." "Asegúrate de que la chica Anabel no vuelva." I pulled away from her, a weak cheeky smile was displayed on her lips and I couldn't help but smile just the smallest bit. "Claro que sí, mamá, no te preocupes por eso."