Chapter 15

Whoooooo 3.7k words!

***

Usually, it’s the current CEO that decides who is going to take after him. But in the Rathavit family, it is the oldest member of the family that was once a CEO, who decides who will become the next successor.

When Awut was chosen by his grandfather to be next in line, he of course wanted his son to take after him. And for the first months after Times birth, things looked steady. Nothing was in the way.

Then, his little brother announced the pregnancy of his girlfriend.

It was a shock to everyone in the family. Until then, no one was even aware that Kiet was in a relationship, and now a new member of the family was supposed to be on their way..?

Something in him was happy though.

That child was a bastard child.

To top it off, it was the child of a lower-class woman. It would never be approved my the old CEO, his mother.

Then, it was born.

At first, the baby was treated exactly like he expected, like an outcast who did not belong here and was nothing more than a mistake. But soon, the view on the little baby changed.

Members of the family started to think the boy looked cute, like an angel.With it's big black eyes and a smile that could melt hearts.

His own son quickly became old news, he was starting to become irrelevant. As long as that bastard child was there.

Months after his nephew’s birth, Kiet and that woman married, and years after, they announced their second pregnancy.

Time was 4, the boy was 3. And yet, he still managed to capture the hearts of the family, including the one of his mother who wanted nothing else but see the little baby every weekend.

It was unexplainable.

Why? Why was that damn child getting so much attention!?

Awut needed a plan. A plan to make that boy less appealing, and making his own son popular instead. Because if Time didn’t manage to become the next CEO, what good was there?

The first plan was as followed, Time would befriend that boy, they would meet up often, and he would have the chance to talk to him, change him a little bit.

At first, Kiet was hesitant about letting them meet, knowing exactly that there must be a reason for his brother to change his opinion about Can so abruptly. He saw how Awut looked at his son.

But eventually, he agreed.

So, Time and Can met. It was also the first time he actually bothered to remember the name of his nephew, before not believing it to be relevant.

What he didn’t expect was for them to become such good friends. Can would be the only thing Time talked about, always asking when they would see each other again.

Years passed of Awut trying to change Can somehow by talking to him about things he should not be hearing, by showing him things he should not be seeing. And sometimes, by letting him experience things he should not be experiencing.

Can always ignored this, he was way too young to know what was going on and that it was bad. But when he eventually realized it, he didn’t care anyways.

If it meant being able to see his cousin dance again.

The first time Awut hit his son was when he was thirteen years old. It was the moment everything came crashing down at him.