I felt my blood boil as I averted my gaze, trying to bottle up my emotions so I didn't explode right then and there.

Aldéric lead us to the platform, If he noticed Richard staring daggers at us he didn't say anything, walking proudly to his throne and then eased himself in. He gripped my waist gently, turning me around and then pulling me down into his lap, my back resting into his chest. Aldéric leaned his head against my back, his arm snaking around my waist as his other arm rests on the arm of his throne.

I can still feel Richard glaring at the side of my face but I chose to ignore him, trying to focus on anything else.

I felt foreign sitting up here, every one looking up at us. I didn't feel as if I belonged up on the platform but I suppose I didn't really. Soon I would be replaced with Adeline, the rightful person who should really be sitting here instead of me. I had no doubt that would be very soon.

Very soon.

My thoughts go back to Cora, her expression too depressing to look at. My heart went out to her, suddenly feeling bad that because Aldéric had took me from Richard she had to go back to her former position. She must be hating me right about now.

I wish I could save her from her torture once again but that wasn't in my power to do so.

A silence soon settles over the massive hall when footsteps echo around us, the King and Queen appearing from the archway that me and Aldéric had walked through. The two of them climb the few steps and then step onto the platform, Aurélien eyeing me like I irritated him whilst Ornella shot me a fake smile, her eyes mocking me as she took a seat in her throne on the right of her husband. Aurélien's voice travels around every inch of the room as he announces, "Tonight, forty humans are on trial for plotting against us, they will be judged and punished before you."

A small gasp leaves my lips, the king granting me a sideways glance, smirking before he turns back towards the small crowd, their own smirks and excitement showing. How could they be pleased with punishing humans fighting for what I assume is their freedom? If it weren't for these vile creatures we wouldn't be treated like animals.

My gaze meets with Cora, her own fear and surprise reflecting my own. It was obvious she had never witnessed something like this either and she had lived with these beings a lot longer which meant this sort of trial was rare. I try to comfort her, offering her a little smile, it was difficult considering I was afraid too, if not more.

I grip Aldérics wrist, resting on the arm of the throne, and squeeze it tightly with fear. He understands, pulling me tighter into his chest, his hand around my waist, rubbing up and down my side soothingly. "Shhh just try to relax." He whispers softly against my ear. I do as he says, breathing in greedily to try and calm my rapid breathing and soothe my nerves.

The sounds of chains rattling echoed around the room, two men who were obviously guards from their grey uniforms and ear pieces pulled roughly on a metal chain each as they walked into the room. Connected to the chains were handcuffs which were roughly tightened around the wrists of men and woman dressed in servant uniforms, their clothes ripped and filthy. They had all been viciously beaten, dark bruises marred their skin and blood trickled from their many wounds as they came and stood before us. They were connected together through the metal chain, forcing them to stand in two separated lines behind the two guards.

How could they treat them like that?

No one deserved this kind of treatment.