Chapter 27

Where is he?

Is he hurt?

Is he still alive?

Tears blur my vision while I canter Star out of the stable jumping her across the fence and into the forrest, I don't bother to wait for Daniel.

The person that stole Scoot from me is going to pay!  He's not my horse but I know this was targeted at me.

Was it Josh? He said he knew me and that I would pay for taking his horse away. When and if I find out if he stole Spook, I will personally deliver him to hell.

I start to hear hoofbeats behind me and look back and see Daniel galloping atop a ghost like horse, oh wait that's Pebbles.

"Darcy stop!!!" Daniel shouts.

I continue to urge Star into a faster gallop but soon realise...what's the point? I can't gallop away from Daniel when he's helping me instead. I sit back in the saddle and put slight pressure on the reins to slow Star to a hault.

Pebbles slows up next to us, nostrils blowing, sides heaving. Daniel pats the horse's sweating neck and rests, letting out a long sigh.

"Darcy...I'm sorry" he says finally breaking the silence.

"For what?" I ask through my teeth. I didn't mean it to sound so rude, its just with everything that has happened I'm definitely not the epitome of happy.

"For everything. For lying to you, for loosing Scoot, for being the biggest jerk in the history of jerks" he looks up and into my eyes. Worry and sadness clearly eatched into his features. Could he really care that much?

And that's why I found myself reaching over and pulling his hand from the reins and into mine. I found myself doing this simple gesture because I believed in his words and I believed he cared.

A small smile crept onto my face while a thankfull grin slid onto his angel like face. This simple spot in time seemed to define everything we could be, who we could be if we trusted in one another. But this spot in time had to finish when a shrill whinney pierced the muggy, still air causing Star and Pebbles to raise their heads and neigh back.

Almost as if we were joined in the mind, Daniel and I dropped the others hand and pushed the horses into a gallop, surging forward like rockets on steroids if that was even possible.

The smell of smoke soon wafted into our nostrils and the sound of country music soon floated into our ears...and then we saw the camp fire.

We slowed the horses down.

"Did you hear that!?" I voice boomed from the fire.

"Oh shut your trap you old bag it was the spirit horses you dimb wit" an older soundy female voice scoulds the other person.

Daniel and I slowly dismount and tie Star and Pebbles far enough away from the camp sight that they wouldn't be seen. Hopefully they wouod be quiet enough for us to sneek up on the people.

Behind a prickly bush, Daniel and I squatted and surveyed the area, trying to be as quiet as possible.

A camp fire lit up a dirt area which contained three tents, an orange/brown rusted oil drum which I'm assuming holds the people's water supply, a pile of what look to be rucksacks and a wagon and tied to the wagon were five horses.

A bay, a liver chestnut, what looks to be a blue roan, a palimino and a midnight black horse with four white socks that seem to glow in the darkness.

Beside the wagon was a very small pen holding a very frightened Scoot. At the sight of him I was ready to launch but Daniel placed his hand on my upper arm giving me a stern look.