Chapter 9

We continue to walk up the hill towards the ranch, stopping briefly at a stream for the animals to drink. We carry on for another twenty minutes when we finally reach the edge of the woods. I peer through the tangle of leaves and branches to see if the coast was clear. I see horses lazily grazing in some near by paddocks.

I see a bright red ute parked in the drive way leading to the large farm house. That car means that someone is home, maybe the boy. I never got my driver's license,  I never got the chance.

I reassure myself that it's all clear, and I  I click my tongue and the horse walks over to a gate leading into a large green paddock. I dismount and open the gate. I lead the horse through and check that the gate is locked.

I then look at what is in the paddock. Around about eleven horses are lazily grazing away or lying in the sun. "Go on" I urge the horse, and his doesn't need to be told twice. He gallop of toward a pitch balck mare and they start the rear and buck in excitement.

I walk out of the paddock and over to the barn. I walk down the barn aisle, running my fingers over the freshly polished wood. There were twenty stables in total, eleven of which have a golden name plate imbedded into the door.

I stand in the middle of the aisle and breath in the smell of horses and fresh hay. "I didn't know we had a visitor?" a voice behind me asks. I spin around, a bit to quickly that I nearly lost my balence.

"Oh, um.. I'm sorry I uh" I stutter. "Don't rush, take your time. I'm Daniel by the way" he says extending his hand towards me. I slowly shake it which makes him chuckle.

"Did you return my horse?" Daniel asks. "Um yeah, sorry?" I ask. "Thankyou so much" he exclaimes. "I've been trying to get him in all week, he's a bugger of a horse" he sighs. "He is not!" I say a bit to loudly. "He's just a big sweet heart" I say placing up hands in my hips.

"Ok proove it. Go catch him" Daniel says folding hus arms across his chest. I give him a look that says I accept his challenge.  I look around but all I see is a rope coiled up on the ground, perfect.

I drop my bag down against the wall and fling the rope onto my shoulder.  I strut out of the barn and climb over the fence. I blow a long shrill whistle. Every horse's head lifts up from the grass, ears pricked, including my pretty buckskin.

He's the first horse to start galloping toward me, all the other horses follow bucking and galloping in excitment. The horses slow down to a trot and crowd around me. A short dalmation pony nudges my pockets looking for treats but is soon dissapionted.

I walk up to the buckskin and  loop the rope over his neck. I click my tongue and he starts to walk beside me. We finally make it back to Daniel and we stop in front of the gate.

"Well well well. I underestimated you... what did you say your name was?" "I didn't, its Darcy" I say standing a little taller. A shocked expresion passes over Daniel's face. "Hey look like you've seen a ghost, you right?" I ask, a bit creep out.

"Well, I think I have" he replies in a husky voice. "What do you mean?" I ask him, I'm really confused now. "Darcy haven't you seen the news?" he asks me, regaining his proper voice.

"No, on the run trying to find my lost parents right here" I say in a mock tone.

"Darcy, everyone thinks your dead".