Chapter 11

I just sit there. Who would want to look after a run away 'dead' girl. Most people would hand me straight over to the police, but Daniel isn't most people.  He's sweet and kind and- no, I can't think about stupid things like guys, I'm on the run for crying out loud.

I get up and walk back into the tack room. I make my way over to a recently polished western saddle with very beautiful patterns carved in the leather. I walk out and into the barn aisle and see that Daniel is just about to leave with a pile of halters in his arms.

I run after him. "Hey want a hand?" I ask smiling. Daniel's face shows a sign of relief. Probably because I didn't run away from him. "Um.. yeah, sure thanks" he says returning my smile.

I grab five halters and lead ropes. We walk into the paddock and all the horses come trotting up to us. We slip all the halters onto a horse, I managed to get my buckskin. We then tie them all up and lead them two at a time into their designated stables.

After all the horses are put away, we take a breather. "Can you introduce me to them?" I ask. "Of course, we'll start from the front" Daniel answers, pleased that he can finally show off.

He leads me to the first stable, and at first,  I think he must be dreaming because I couldn't see a horse. But as we got closer, I looked over the door and saw the dalmation pony from before.

He greets us with a shrill whinney and paws at the ground wanting his dinner. "This is Tumbleweed, I was given him by my parents when I was three. Even though I don't ride him I don't think I'd be able to sell him" Daniel explains while patting the ponies fluffy mane.

We walk to the next stall which contains a large black fresian gelding standing around 17.2 hh. I look up at him, and he breaths onto my face. I chuckle to myself and pat his velvety nose. I then look down at the golden name plate which reads Zeus which is very understandable.

We continue walking down the stables saying hi to a palimino standardbred mare who's show name is The Last Sunset, a chestnut thoroughbred gelding by the name of Copper,  two twin pinto fillies Yin and Yang, the black mare that was playing with my buckskin early is named Black Star, two bay Tennessee Walkers George and Garry who, Daniel says, can't be separated and a dapple grey arab mare called Pebbles.

"Wow, you got quite the collection" I say making Daniel and I laugh. " That's not all of them, the other nine are leased out for a while, they're all coming back tomorrow,  you can help me with them if you want?" he asks. I nod my head a little to excitedly.

"Wait, where's Fly?" I yell looking around frantically.  "Is that your dog?" Daniel asks me. "Well yeah, not exactly, I took her from-" I start. "Wait you also stole a dog?!" he says; shocked. "Yeah, but she was being abused, I couldn't just leave her" I answer. "Oh in that case, I put her in the end stall" he says smiling.

I playfully punch his arm and run down the aisle and open the last stable door. Fly is standing in the middle of the stable wagging her tail excited to see me. "Hi girl, I'm sorry I forgot all about you, why don't you stay here for a bit" I say.

I look around and find an old horse rug. " May I?" I ask Daniel. "Sure" he answers shrugging his shoulders. I lift up the rug and carry it into the stable. I place it in the corner and push it down making a make-shift bed for Fly. "There you go, I'll see you later" and I pat her in the head and kiss her nose.

"Wait!  what about my- I mean your buckskin that I recaptured for you?" I exclaim looking around trying to find him. God we're losing and then finding animals left and right I think to myself. "Oh crap!" Daniel says as he sprints to the barn doors. I run after him just in time to see the horse leap over the fence and run into the trees.

"Come on we got to catch him!" Daniel yells, running into the tack room. " You really need to make that fence taller" I laugh following him. "Not really the time for joking. Who are you riding?" he asks me. "Um what?" I say; confused. "Which horse are you riding?" he asks again. "Oh, um, Black Star" I say.

"Ok, that's her western saddle over there" Daniel says pionting to a black western saddle with silver designs on the leather. " Or if you ride english, she jumps but that all purpose saddle over there should fit her" he says grabbing a stock saddle and a western bridle, plus a dark blue saddle blanket.

I decide to grab the all purpose saddle in case we do have to jump, along with a bridle with a snaffle bit and a lime green saddle blanket. I rush back into the aisle and place the saddle and bridle carefully on the ground and find a halter. I walk into Black Star's stable and slip the halter over her head.

I walk her out and tie her up on a metal ring hanging from the wall. I place the saddle blanket on her back, making sure all her hairs are flat si she won't be uncomfortable.  I then place the saddle on top making sure the girth is nice and firm.

I then wrap the lead rop around her neck and take her halter off. she willingly takes the bit, she must know that this is important. There's no time for a helmet so I swing into the saddle and look over at Daniel who's just placing a bit into Yang's mouth. Once he's up we trot out of the barn even though its not the safest thing to do.

What's going ti happen to my buckskin, could he get hurt? No, I can't think about that now, not in a time of need. I urge Black Star into a canter and not waiting for the gate to be opened we leap over the fence. We slow down waiting for Daniel and Yang to come through, Daniel doesn't bother closing the gate.

He catches up and gives me a quizzicle look. "What's that look for" I laugh. "Oh, I don't know, maybe just the fact that you've never properly ridden a horse and now you're jumping luke a pro, your must not be human" he yells over the wind. "It must be in my blood, watch out here's another one" I laugh. But Daniel's ready for this one, he urges Yang foward and they both fly over the jump.

"We can do better than that" I say the Black Star. She snorts in approval and she pucks up her pace.  We launch into the air and land safely on the other side. I let out a rebel hoot and we gallop after Daniel and Yang.

We soon catch up to them and we slow down to a walk, letting the horses catch their breath. I'm about to yell out the horse's name when it dawned on me that I don't know what his name is.

"What's his name? " I ask Daniel when we finally come face to face. "Who, the horse's?" he asks back. "No that tree's?, who do you think?" I say back slightly annoyed.

"I was just making sure" he chuckles which soon makes me smile. "His name is Escapers Dream due to his experience escaping but everyone just calls him Scoot". "Scoot! " I yell startling both horse's and Daniel.

Daniel starts to join in and together we search for Escapers Dream.