Chapter 16

We drive down busy road after busy road. Young children were getting on buses or waving goodbye to parents. We continued to drive down the main street, past the local shops which consisted of a small grocery store, a petrol station, a bar/restaurant, a cafe and a bookstore.

We turned another corner and we're hit with screams and laughter from students walking into the front gates. We drive around to the back of the school and into the student car park. Students are walking into the back gates others are kissing their relationship buddy or doing suspicious things behind parked cars.

While we were driving I felt absolutely fine but now, I can feel the butterflies colliding with my stomach. Daniel must sense something's wrong because he slows down and puts and arm around my shoulders.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asks worridly. "I'm fine, just nervous." I reply standing up tall and continuing to walk toward the open school gates. We walk into the closest building, which is already filled with students.

All of a sudden, a girl rushes over to us, blocking our path. I had to actually try to stop myself from running into the girl, which thankfully worked.

"Hi Daniel!" the girl says in a really cheesy, cheery voice.  "Hi Amy what are you doing here?" Daniel asks, all of a sudden he starts fidgeting around unable to stand still.

"Oh you know, busy, busy, busy! So, have you chos-" she stops mid-sentence when she realises I'm standing right there listening to her every word. "Who's this?" she asks, her fake attitude faltering a bit.

"Amber Davies, its a pleasure to meet you" I say extending a hand towards her. She reluctantly shakes it. "Amy Burnes, student body president and soon to be female school captain." She replies.

"Impressive." Is all I can say. "Well I better get going, a lot to plan for prom, you got a date yet?" She asks Daniel, batting her eyelashes flirtatiously. "Um, I've got someone in mind." He answeres kicking a stone on the ground.

A huge grin spreads across Amy's face. "Ok bye Daniel.... and you too Amber." She says, her fake smile becoming weaker by the second. She stalks off to a group of girls all giggling and texting on their phones.

"What was that all about?" I ask, a small smile emerging on my face. "Oh um... you just gotta keep a straight face when you talk to your ex." He says as he half heartedly laughs. "What! You went out with her! Wow you must of been asleep the entire time you dated her!" I exclaimed, making us both laugh. "Nice name by the way." He says between laughs which makes me laugh even more.

We continue to walk down the busy hallway when we are stopped again, this time by a guy, and this time Daniel's the one to start off the conversation.

"Caleb hey man what's up?" he yells, pulling the boy into a tight embrace and slapping his back. "Oh you know, mostly football. Our stupid goalkeeper broke his leg so we need a replacement fast and... who's this pretty little thing?" he asks motioning toward me.

"Oh this is my friend Amber, Amber this is my best friend Caleb" Daniel introduces. I slowly shake Caleb's outstretched hand. Lets just say he wasn't bad to look at.

Like Daniel, Caleb has sandy blonde hair. Also like Daniel he has blue eyes but he's are a startling colour.  He has freckles across the bridge of his nose and he was pretty tall. He has fare skin and a toned body.

Then a small group of girls came over and one of them hooked arms with Caleb. She placed her lips against Caleb's making us all feel uncomfortable. They part and look around the group.

"Amber this is my girlfriend Delilah, Delilah this is Daniel's friend Amber" and I shake another hand. "Its nice to meet you" Delilah says, and thank the lord she says it in a normal tone of voice. "You too, and I love your outfit!" and I mean it.

She's wearing a flowy white singlet which is tucked into denim high-waisted shorts with white floral Dr Martins. Her hair was styled into a fishtail braid and she wore a crown of fake flowers.

I could tell we would get along. But as I was about to make small talk the school bell rang making all the students part ways. Daniel and I said goodbye to Caleb and Delilah and started to walk in a different direction.

"Follow me" is all Daniel says as he grabs my hand and pushes people who can't be bothered to go to class. We take a sharp turn into a class room and find two spare desks to sit at.

I realise we're still holding hands and I quickly unlock our fingers and pretend to try and find something in my bag. It seemed to take Daniel by surprise and he seemed to blush with embarrassment.

I zip up my bag and by this stage the teacher has entered the room. She wore a navy blue office

shirt with a matching skirt and high heels. Her hair was braided down her back.

"Quiet down now." She says in a british accent. She starts to call the role and when she finally comes to Daniel and I my heart starts racing and I feel sick again. What if she says I can't attend school, that I have to leave ammediately.  What if she recognizes me, that would be the end of my little quest.

"Daniel Parks?" she announces. "Here Miss" Daniel replies, rasing a hand into the air. She continues the role and my heart beat slows, but not for long.

"Oh, it looks like we have a new student. Where's Amber Davies?" she exclaims. I think my heart just stops instead of increasing its spead. I slowly raise my hand, anxious to find out what she will say or where she'll tell me to go.

"Hi my name is Miss Carlos and I hope you enjoy attending Karlton High School" she says with a smile which I return.

But then a thought entered my already crowded mind, who knew my fake name? I only made it up this morning. Someone must be following me and if so, I owe them.

By the time the bell rings for our first class I've zoned out of the class conversations about four times and I'm glad to start moving again. And so my first day at a new school with new people begins.