Chapter 8

I run after the boy and horses even though I know I'll never catch them. I kee running, Fly trotting by my side. I soon run out of breath and have to slow down.

I sit down and just as I do, the gelding reappears,  luck is finally on my side. I stand up slowly not wanting to startle the horse. The boy on his horse are no where to be seen.

I approach the horse from the side so he can see me and also if he chose to take off he wouldn't trample me. I'm about two metres away from him now so I extend my hand for him to sniff it.

The horse takes a step forward, then another and another. Soon, I feal warm breath and long hairs tickling my hand. I look up and see the gelding centimetres away.

I push my hand forward so it rests on top of the horse's nose. He shakes his head but otherwise stands still. I take a step forward.  Still no reaction. I walk up to him and start to pat his neck. I remember the dried fruit in my bag and grab it out.

At the sound if the plastic bag,  the horse starts to fidget around, wanting something to eat. "Hang on!" I say pouring the pieces into my hand. I offer him the fruit which he greedily scoffs it down.

"I wonder what your name is?" I ask the horse. I see a little burnt patch on his shoulder. I think someone must of tried to brand him. "Can you be ridden?" I ask mostly to myself.

I had been riding before, always on the neighbors horses. People tell me it must be in my blood because I apparently ride like a natural.

I brush the horses body with my hand until I get to his withers. I slightly push down on the horses back. His eyes are alert now,  but he doesn't run off.

I push I little harder but the gelding still stands there. I decide to hop on. I place my hands, one on his withers the other on his hip bone. I bend down and with all my strength I push myself up onto the horse's back.

Just as I get into the correct position, the horse takes off at a full blown gallop. I wrap my fingers in his mane and cling on with my legs. I sit back and slightly pull on the mane. It takes a minute or two but the horse finally slows to a walk.

I sit back to a complete stop and we just sit. We are both breathing hard but I start to chuckle to myself.  I hadn't had that much fun in forever.

Then, Fly comes spriting up to our side's.  "Oh, I'm sorry girl did we leave you? " I ask the collie. She yips in agreement and sits down panting.

I hop of the horse and take a good look at him. He turns out to be a quarter horse with strong legs. He has a smokey black muzzle and four black socks coming up to his knees and hocks.

His golden coat is dusty and has a dried mud patch on his rump. "Do you think we could do that again but without the galloping?" I laugh. I pull myself back up and brace myself for the rush of speed, but it doesn't come. The gelding is just peacefully catching his breath.

I click my my tongue and he sets of at a walk. Because I don't have any reins I stear him with my legs. I turn him up hill toward the barn and house.