Chapter 26

I stared at Maddie being choked to death. She would be the next kid to die here and be stuffed into a suit.

I lost all faith in Maddie being able to live. I mean, I love her, but I know there's no way she can live. It's all over now.

"I love you, Pirate." I said, meaning every last word.

"I-I love y-ou t-oo, Fo-xy." She could barely speak anymore.

At that moment, something reached out and grabbed Chica. I couldn't tell who it was. The thing pulled Chica away from Maddie.

Bonnie dropped my legs in surprise, and I kicked him. I stepped on Freddy's foot and shoved him to the ground.

"Don't you ever hurt Maddie again." I said.

Right as he nodded with fear, 6:00 a.m. came. Freddy and his friends ran to the stage while I picked up Maddie and brought her to Pirates Cove. One question still rang in my mind.

Who saved Maddie?

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Why did you come back? You could have been killed."

"Because I love you, Foxy. You're the best friend I've ever had. In fact, you're the only real friend I've ever had. The manager wouldn't let me come here, so I came the only time I possibly could."

I sighed. I knew what I had to do, even if it will break my metallic heart.

"Maddie, please don't come back here."

"But why? I can survive the night. You'll protect me."

"I don't know if I can. We got lucky today that somebody saved you. I can't let anything happen to you. I'm sorry."

Tears rolled down her eyes.

"Maddie, I'm sorry. You know I love you, and I don't want you to die."

"It's fine. I get it. Goodbye Foxy."

Maddie gave me a hug. It lasted about 2 minutes, but it seemed like a lifetime. I felt her tears land on me.

We finally let go and she left.

Well, I guess I'm alone again. But I can't let anything happen to her. I would never forgive myself.

I sat in Pirates Cove, alone. I looked around and saw the cardboard sword that she gave me when we first met.

Suddenly, every moment with Maddie flashed in my head. When she ran in here for the first time crying, giving her the eyepatch back, meeting Payton, saving her from Freddy, and the moment that just happened. Our last moment...

I couldn't take it anymore. I ran right out of Pirates Cove with the sword in my hand. Some of the kids screamed, and the manager yelled at me, but I didn't care. Maddie's all I care about.

I ran out of the building and found her in the parking lot waiting for Payton.

"Maddie!" I yelled.

"Foxy!"

I ran up to her and gave her another hug.

"I love you so much. I couldn't let you go."

Maddie smiled with a face that made all of the pain I've ever felt melt away.

Then, I felt something in my back move, and everything went dark.