Dear Diary

Oh hello. Back so soon? Well that's queer. 

Warnings: Swearing, mentions of bad parenting, prison mention, idk what else. 

Ship sailing: P L A T O N I C Nurf x Max

-

11/26/19

Neil got me this nerdy diary for my birthday. He said it helps him by writing stuff out and he thought it might help me. He did also call me a "morally fucked up version of Buford" so I don't really know if I should listen to him that much. Eh, don't care.

-Nurf

11/30/19

My foster mom got mad at me cuz I didn't really wanna do anything today. It's kinda weird but sometimes I have this thing where I just can't leave my bed. Maybe it's just me. I don't know. I think I hear my foster mom coming up the stairs. She'll be pissed if I'm not asleep. Night.

-Nurf

12/04/19

I hate my foster mom. She's such a bitch but I have to stay with her. If I don't then I go somewhere else and far away from my mom. This is the closest place to the prison she's in and my foster mom lets me go every weekend. Sometimes I can't tho, when she's upset with me. It's also the only place with my friends. They kinda help tho. That's cool I guess. They're still losers tho.

-Nurf

12/15/19

We had a pizza party at Max and Harrisons place tonight. I guess I coulda just said David's house but eh, same thing. It's kinda cool how David took them in. Max I was expecting but not Harrison. I wonder if he would've taken me in? Probably not.

12/18/19

Most kids are excited for winter break but I'm not most kids. Most everybody is going away for Christmas. My foster mom is taking me and the husband to the mountains. I told her there was this thing the prison was doing for Christmas for families to spend time with their parents and stuff. I had been really excited about it but she said she didn't care. She said I should just give up on my mom. I think she's evil. More 'morally fucked up' than me.

12/23/19

Christmas eve is tomorrow. The cabin they got is small. I don't like it. The room is small and suffocating. The house looks too fake. Almost like my foster mom. Just the tip of the wrong side of perfect. A dull edge that could cut diamond if you used it right. Wow, that was poetic as fuck. Shit, I understand what the others meant when they said I say smart stuff sometimes. Scary
12/25/19

It's Christmas morning and I'm unhappy. I think I'll be happy when we get back tomorrow and I can go to Ereds place for our holiday party( not Christmas, holiday. For Neil.) it's gonna be cool. We're gonna bake and eat take-out and a bunch of other shit and then we're gonna sleep over. I like being around the other guys, I feel less judged. They know I'm trying to be better and help. My foster mom only thinks I'm gonna end up in prison like my mom and dad. Maybe for the same reasons, maybe for new ones all my own. I hate that smug little look she gets on her face when she talks about my future. Fuck her honestly.

12/26/19

Okay, everyone is asleep and I-

"Nurf?" Max mumbled, sitting up from his curled up position in his sleeping bag. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes before scooching closer to Nurf. "Whatcha doing?" he asked. Nurf shut the small journal and shoved it deep into his sleeping bag.

"Nothing." he answered. He knew he was far too quick and far too stiff and that Max was growing suspicious. Nurf brought his knees up to his chest. Max did the same.

"Was that your diary or some shit?" Max asked. Nurf knew he wasn't trying to be rude. That's just how he was.

"Uh..no? I call it a journal, really." Nurf said. Max nodded.

"What do you write in there?"

"Stuff,"

"Too personal to tell us?" Max joked. Nurf could hear an underlying layer of hurt. He blinked.

"No, not really."

"Oh."

"It's the one Neil gave me. On my birthday." Nurf said. Max nodded. It was a while before either spoke.

"We've all grown close over the years." Max said. Nurf nodded in agreement. "Can't believe it's been four years." Max said. He was referring to the first summer with all of them together. Max was ten. Nurf was twelve.

"I know more about you guys then I know about myself." Nurf said.

And wasn't it funny? Wasn't this picture funny? The two toughest acting kids in the group. The most closed off and least emotional ones sharing a moment. A moment when all walls were down. No faces were closed off. Both boys weren't actively trying to hide anything from anyone. Nurf liked it. The comfortable silence that always seemed to encase both boys whenever both were alone together(which wasn't often) and they could just breath.

Maybe they could do something with this.

"Wanna read it?" Nurf asked. Max nodded.

This was the start of something good.