Domino, my beloved

TW: blood, bloody nose. Whiny bitch ass substitute. Tell me if I missed anything.

Ship sailing: some dadvid for y'all

-

David didn't know where it had come from.

He wasn't upset, kinda. I mean, it looked dirty and he'd prefer if it, at least, had a bath before lounging around his couch but he wasn't going to complain.

At least vocally. He didn't dare wake up Max and Nurf(who is staying with them for a while as a foster kid) who were also laying on the couch, fast asleep. Nurf was on the left side, arm hanging off the arm of the couch and his mouth open, light snores and drool exiting with each breath. Max was on the other side, curled into himself with his head in the arm and back towards David.

In the middle of the couch, was a small gray ball of fur. The slow rise and fall of its body showed that it, too, was fast asleep.

Was it actually gray? Or black? It looked dark enough to be black.

Not what's important right now.

David sighed, knowing what he'd have to do. He tip-toed over to the couch and placed a gentle hand on Maxs' back, rubbing it in soothing circles. He's hoping that it'll wake him up and he was right. Max stirred, letting out a small grunt as he turned around and gazed up at David.

He squinted and made a humming noise. David gestured towards Nurf and the cat lying on his couch. Max took a second to comprehend what was being communicated and then sprang up, eyes a little panicked. He shot a wary glance at David who gave him his best comforting smile in return.

Max relaxed, shoulders dropping and hands relaxing. He got up and walked towards Nurf's body. David assumed he was going to poke him or something to wake him up.

David was wrong.

Max out both his hands on the opposite ends of Nurf and rolled him off the couch, jumping back when he fell, face first, onto the floor. David, with a shout, ran over to the boy on the floor.

"O-oh my god, Nurf! Are you okay? Max, stop laughin- oh my god your nose! Is it broken?" David asked, frantic. Max was laughing like a little demon, rolling around on the floor. That all stopped when he actually looked at Nurf's face and saw blood dripping out of his nose.

"Oh, shit. Are you-"

"I'm fine. It's not broken. I've dealt with worse." The boy said, oddly calm for someone who had just been woken up with a harsh tug to the floor and a bloody nose.

David sat him up and had Max rush to get a tissue, pressing it up against the older boy's nose while doing so. Nurf held the tissue up against his face, silent and a little bored as he watched David scold Max, who had enough decency to look a little guilty.

When all was done and Nurf was able to throw the tissue out, David finally questioned the boys about the cat who was now wide awake and lounging on the top of his couch. The boys answered every question honestly, not even trying to make excuses.

"We found him outside. He's been coming up to our back door for the past week after school."

"Yeah, we fed him. Gave him tuna and water. Sometimes milk."

"No, we haven't brought him inside until today."

"His name is Domino. He's gray and has white spots on his tummy."

"Yes, we were aware of the consequences of our actions."

"No, we didn't call animal control or anything."

"He never bit us."

"We don't have rabies."

"Can we keep him?" Both boys asked at the same time, puppy dog eyes and pleading faces at their highest levels. It wasn't all that strong though, the expressions not looking right on either of their faces, but who was he to deny them.

"Fine. We can go out shopping for stuff tomorrow. For right now though, go get him a bath. I'm sure he hasn't had one in a while."

The boys glanced at each other in victory, smiling and nodding at David's request. Nurf picked up Domino, who looked quite small in the boy's large hands, and hurried off towards the guest bathroom downstairs. David could hear them laughing and talking and he knew he'd have to clean the bathroom later but it was nice to enjoy it in the moment.

Maybe he could snap a picture for the photo album?

-

Max was having a shitty day.

Like a really shitty day.

A day so shitty that maybe shitty wasn't even the word to describe it. Something worse.

Can someone have diarrhea for a day?

No, it just makes it sound like he had diarrhea.

Still, the whole day was terrible.

He missed his alarm, first thing. He had to be woken up five minutes before the bus came by Dolph's(who was staying with them for lord-knows-how-long) really loud ass yelling. Just because he looked cute didn't mean he acted any better than any other seven year old.

Then he had to rush through his entire morning routine and skip breakfast. So he was angry and hungry.

When he walked into his first class he saw they had a substitute, which was gonna be good, if Max didn't hate that substitute. He had had him for his class a while back and had ended up making the dude have a mental breakdown. Instead of running out of the class the second he saw him, like he hoped he'd do, he just shot him a glare and called the principal down to take him to the ISS room.

He was familiar with the place, sure, and the lady was nice but god he hated that room. It smelled like mothballs and all the bad kids always ended up being there on the same days he was.

Still, he braved through the day. However, when he got to lunch and went to sit down with his friends, he realized that he had forgotten his lunch at home so he had to get the school lunch which everyone knew wasn't real food.

All for him to have to miss art class, which was his favorite class(which he thought was bullshit. "If you're in ISS then you have to be here for every class except lunch" but the thing was he wasn't actually supposed to be here! He already served his time, that sub was just a wimpy ass bitch) and also missed the new art project they were gonna start on.

And when he got home, tired and starving, Nurf ate the last of Max's snacks. The ones with his name on it. That David bought for him, and only him.

So now he was lying in his room, curtain drawn and homework abandoned, while he waited for dinner. His door was closed shut, meaning he didn't want any visitors.

But then there was light tapping at his door. Max knew what that meant.

Even though he didn't want any visitors, and was adamant on that even when David came knocking, he knew he could say no to Domino.

So he got up from his, very comfy, spot on the bed and made his way over to the door. He opened it a creak, just enough to let Domino dart inside, and close it right back up.

Domino made his way into Maxs' bed, staring at him while he loitered by the door. Max rolled his eyes and made his way back onto his bed, lying down on his back. Domino, like the cutey he was, curled up on Maxs chest.

Max smiled.

He was hungry, angry, and all around in a crappy mood but damn if this cat didn't make him feel better.

It was nice.

-

1297 words.

Can y'all tell idk what I'm doing.