47| Her Eyes

Wahaj's POV

I kept going in circles in my car, not knowing who should I confide in. I make my way down the narrow streets. In less than five minutes, I am turning to a corner. I stood in front of Mrs Chamberlain's house. I wanted to get in but I couldn't not after disappearing for four years. My heart rattles in my chest. Images of me running in that garden as a little girl and grandma scolding me to come inside invaded into my headspace. I cradle my head in my hands.

My heart is still racing, even faster now. After I talked to the security guard and asked where was my grandmother and aunt, he said they were fired after my grandmother's death.

My head couldn't grasp the information, and my heart seemed to break in pieces in more ways than one. I didn't know where to go or who to look for as I look into the rare view of the mirror window in the car to find that my father's car is tailing us.

Oh Ya Allah, please help me.

I went to the only place I remembered clearly—my aunt's cafe. At two in the morning, I doubted finding anyone there, but I had no one to go to as I looked toward the two girls asleep in the back seat.

I step out of the car when I arrive at my aunt's cafe and find the light's opened and my aunts inside.

My aunt Seren emerges from the cafe shop. I look toward my father, who steps out of his car—my heart is in my throat.

I froze as I look at my aunt after almost four years of not talking to them, "Take your daughter and leave." Aunt Seren demanded as she spoke to my father.

"Come on," Diab said to me.

"Please," I begged my aunt, but she shoved me away.

"Why so hostile ?" Father asked my aunt.

"My mother refused your money on her death bed, Muhammad, just like Mama Ghada never forgave you, we will never forgive you." She spoke to my father and then looked at me, "and you, you refused to obey her wishes and come visit her one last time, and now you are standing here waiting for us to let you in,"

My heart races, but when I open my mouth, nothing comes out, I wanted to say I didn't know, I wanted to cry and to shout but I couldn't.

I stood there like a fool being manipulated as people wished. When I hear a voice, I was brought back to my current situation.

"Mama," A soft voice spoke.

I left the place I stood in and went inside the car quickly as I drove the car faster than usual. Praying, he doesn't follow me.

I went into the high open road as I kept driving for hours with no destination in mind as I finally stopped in front of the motel at 7 am. This was the only thing I can afford, but I didn't dare to go inside. I slept in the car.