Chapter 2 - Memories

Godzilla sat and watched wearily as the dark-blue kitten was running around the huge cave, she seemed very restless and energetic. He hadn't even gave her a name yet, but he decided not to name her now, maybe another time.

It was night by the time they arrived on the giant island, and luckily there was a cave big enough for the both of them. Godzilla lay down on his side, slowly turning too weary to watch the kitten any longer. He shut his eyes and fell into slumber.

***

He swam around in the wide ocean, he was smaller that time and had more stumpy legs. The young Gojira had been playful like the kitten back then too. He looked up in the sky to see something swooping over him, it was his good friend Mosura!

"Good morning, madam Mosura!" The young Gojira greeted the beautiful winged creature politely. "Morning, Goji!" She stopped mid-air and greeted him back, "Also, just call me Mothra. It fits me better."

He nodded to the small golden cat. She may be small, but she proclaimed that this was her adult form, basically meaning that she was older than Godzilla. "So, where are you off to, Mothra?" He asked. "Nowhere really, I'm just flying around," Mosura admitted, "how about you?"

"Nowhere specific either," Godzilla shrugged, "although I've never been up south before and I'm going to go see what may turn up, wanna come with me?"

"Sure!" She squeaked joyfully, Mosura glided down closer beside him. Throughout the long journey, they kept silent. Young Godzilla frequently plunged his head into the water to check if something was going to ambush them from under, while Mosura kept eyes on the sky to see if something was going to ambush them from above.

Soon, they approached a huge, dark, and nasty-looking storm. "M-Mothra..." Godzilla stuttered, lifting his head up from the water, "We have to turn back..."

Mosura jerked her head forward, she stared ahead at the dark void of endless rain and loud thunder in shock. Aside from her constantly beating wings, the whole of her froze. "Mothra, you can't handle this storm!" Godzilla looked worriedly at his friend, "Only I can withstand that! You need to go!"

"I won't let you journey down south alone!" Mosura insisted, "I can fly above the storm, so I don't get hit."

She then ascended up above the white clouds, slowly turning gray as Godzilla ventured farther into the aggressive storm. He sighed and tried to assure himself that his friend would be fine, but something told him that this storm was not natural... that it was caused by something else...

He was snapped out of his thoughts as he heard a sharp, high-pitched cry of agony. "MOSURA!" He called out, darting swiftly to aid the falling cat. Something had knocked her out of the sky! But what did? She said that she would fly above the clouds, it can't have been the lightning...!

He dived down as fast as he could, trying to catch Mosura. She was knocked unconscious, and she barely breathed. The young Gojira managed to swim under her and push her up above the water, as soon as they reached the surface, which was already crashing with merciless waves, Godzilla grasped her by the neck fur and tried to paddle away from the storm.

***

The young and big wolf pup set her down on the sandy ground, he managed to bring Mosura to a currently empty beach. Her fur was battered, there were several burns on her side, and one side of her red-orange wings were torn... the senior cat wasn't moving, she didn't breathe, her eyes were still closed, she showed no sign of life at all!

Godzilla felt the hope drain from him as he stared down on the unmoving cat. "M-Mothra, please don't leave me..." He pleaded as he crouched down beside the golden ball of fur, grief stabbed him harder than a spire.

He sobbed and sobbed, unaware of the time that passed, and also unaware of the thousands of little humans that surrounded him and watched him mourn. Rising slowly from his place, he took a long look at the audience around him that held tiny, unreadable faces. Then he picked Mosura up in his jaws and dragged her lightly to a forest, beside a city in front of him, and a tiny part of him didn't really care about the humans that followed him.

Godzilla set Mosura down on her side in the center of the beautiful forest where he found a plain for her to rest. I know you like cherries, he pondered, you say you don't care about their size, and that they're delicious...

He turned his head to a patch of trees with pink leaves, demonstrated as cherry blossom trees by Mosura herself. The young Godzilla slowly uprooted one and dropped it near the body, nudging it gently to her paws.

"Rest in peace, Mothra." Was all he could say, then he turned around and walked to the beach, the humans still followed him, but they haven't even gotten on his nerves yet, as they'd usually will and it would end with Gojira's atomic breath... but he didn't even have a feeling on using it on them this time.

He carelessly dropped on his belly in the water, and swam away, speechless of the fresh tragedy that had recently happened.

***

Godzilla jerked awake, he didn't feel the water clinging on his fur anymore, and a small weight was curled up on his flank — the kitten.

No wonder why I'm so quiet nowadays, He pondered. It had been so long ago, but the death of Mosura seemed to have shattered him for ages. Godzilla looked at the kitten that decided to sleep on him, maybe she wasn't so restless after all.

I know what I'll name you now. Your new name shall be Mosura, after an old but good deceased friend of mine...