Chapter 10 - Monster Island's Ruins

(Heads up: Some of these scenes, you wouldn't understand until you read Broken Friendship... actually, that's ironic, I haven't even written the part that's connected to this lol)

Godzilla and Anguirus continued exploring the ruins of the village, which gave them bittersweet memories.

"Why... didn't you say something about this sooner?" Anguirus asked slowly as he walked into a den with broken walls, though his tone was calm. He clearly didn't want to start an argument with his best friend.

Godzilla, being in the ruins of another den across the pathway from Anguirus, shrugged. Maybe I should've...

They suddenly heard a swish, as if something slipped on a muddy surface. The two flinched at the sound, looked at each other, then walked onto the middle of the path to meet. "You heard that...?" Godzilla whispered. Anguirus nodded firmly, then they both ventured towards the source of the sound, walking down the slope.

They made it down just in time to see a thin, shadowed tail disappear behind a den's untouched wall. "We aren't alone," Godzilla concluded, "Stay alert, we could be ambushed."

The excitement started to build up in Anguirus, so much that he started hopping. "But what if it's a survivor of the human attack?"

Godzilla stopped dead in his tracks at Anguirus's words. Horrible memories raced through his head, but they quickly faded as soon as he remembered the word 'survivor'. "You could be right..." Godzilla's face slowly formed a smile, but then it soon dropped, "But we can't be sure."

Anguirus looked at the ground, "Understandable..."

Godzilla walked over to the alley where the stranger had disappeared, Anguirus following closely behind. There was a smudged mud puddle. He didn't find anything in between the tall rock walls but saw a mess of small muddy paw-prints on the grass. Godzilla looked up and saw the same furry tail disappearing behind the roof. Though he did catch a glimpse of its color, it was a slightly dark orange, and Godzilla didn't recognize it, which didn't help at all.

"For heaven's sake..." Godzilla murmured in frustration. "G, give me a lift," Anguirus requested, Godzilla nodded and crouched down as Anguirus carefully climbed onto his back, then grabbed onto the ledge of the rocky roof and hauled himself up.

"Nothing?" Godzilla called. If there was something up there, Anguirus would've seen it before he even made it up there. "Nope..." Anguirus confirmed, poking out of the roof, "just more muddy paw-prints."

"Must be a cat..." Godzilla thought out loud, looking down on the paw prints. "How do you know?" Anguirus asked curiously. "Well..." Godzilla observed, "The paw prints are far smaller than ours... it might be a cat unless it was a puppy that made this, which is unlikely."

"You're right..." Anguirus murmured, "It really must be a cat."

He then glimpsed Anguirus turn his head, a look of curiosity and shock washing over his face. "Goji, you gotta see this..."

Godzilla looked for a way to get up on the roof with him, then saw a big rock lying on the grass. He walked over to it and then rolled up against the wall, hopping onto it and joining Anguirus on the roof. Godzilla asked, "What is it?"

Anguirus said nothing but pointed at an unfamiliar structure in the distance. Godzilla looked at it in surprise, "A tower...? That wasn't here before..."

A wide smile slowly formed on Anguirus's face again. "Am I gonna call it? Am I gonna call it?! Monster Island survivors, man! Aren't you excited that some of your people are alive?!"

Godzilla rolled his eyes playfully. "We'll see about that."

Suddenly, the floor below them collapsed. The two kaiju yelped in surprise as they landed on their backs in the center of the den. "Well -- crap," Godzilla coughed, "Should've made sure -- the roof was stable."