Chapter 61

Reyna was quick in forcing me into a seat, setting a mug of hot chocolate in front of me as she took a sip out of her mug, leaving behind a thin line of whipped cream over her upper lip, which she promptly wiped away with the back of her hand.

Not wanting to agitate Reyna even more, I carefully took a few sips of the hot chocolate, hiding the fact that it tasted like cardboard. I set my mug back down on the coffee table, watching as Reyna downed the rest of her mug, setting the mug down so harshly that it was a miracle it didn't break.

I took that moment to take a good look at Reyna. Her appearance was as flawless as ever, what with her long hair pulled back into a perfect braid, her armor gleaming as it had never seen battle, and her purple praetor cape in pristine condition, not a tear or smudge anywhere to be found.

But if one were to look past her impeccable clothing, you'd notice the dark half-circles under Reyna's eyes and the way she slumped in her chair, like the weight of the world was on her shoulders. And, speaking from experience, she looked worse for wear.

"Five days, eighteen hours, and eleven minutes," Reyna mumbled, rubbing her eyes. "That's how long I've had the others searching for Jason."

"I'm going to take a guess here and say that you haven't slept in five days, eighteen hours, and twelve minutes then?" I asked, aware of the minute hand reaching the twelve on her clock.

"Exactly."

"Well, that can't be doing anyone any good," I said, chewing on my bottom lip. But before Reyna could start protesting, I said, "Don't try to argue with me, Reyna, you're practically dead on your feet. Go get some sleep. I can keep order for as long as you need."

"You mean keep Octavian quiet," Reyna said, slowly getting to her feet. She swayed slightly, gripping tightly onto the back of her chair to keep her upright. "But I think you're right, Andy. I've driven myself sick with worry over something I have no control in."

"I assure you that Jason is safe, wherever he may be."

"You know where he is?"

"Gods of Olympus, no," I lied, shaking my head, glad that neither Aurum nor Argentum were there at the moment. "However, Juno's been missing for as long as Jason's been gone, and a coincidence like that is next to impossible. She has something to do with his disappearance – I'm sure of it. And seeing that Juno favors Jason, I have every reason to believe that he is out of harm's way as long as she is with him."

This seemed to placate Reyna slightly, though I could still make out the unease in her dark brown eyes. She stared at me a moment longer before retreating to her room, the door slamming shut behind her, the subtle sound of a lock turning filling the otherwise silent house.

Eying the two dirty mugs in the living room, I grabbed both of them and headed for the kitchen, figuring that I might as well try to be helpful in any way I could be for the time being.

Before I left, I paused for a moment outside of Reyna's door, laughing softly to myself as I heard her snoring, turning out the rest of the lights in the house as I let myself out. The sun was still setting, the sky alight with hues of pink and orange and violet. And while most people would be enjoying this moment in some way shape or form, the legion was not.

Even from the porch of Reyna's villa, I saw the legionnaires whipped up into a frenzy, many of them still completely decked out in full battle armor as they walked in perfect lines towards one of the many armories around Camp Jupiter.

"It's like he's a ghost," I heard one of the legionnaires say, their knuckles white around their spear. "Here one minute, gone the next."

"Of course he's not a ghost," another one exclaimed in annoyance. "He's a demigod, same as you and me."