Chapter 9

To her credit, Cleo sprang into action, clearing the dining table of its contents and telling me where to set Ms. Castellan. While she did her daughter of Apollo thing, Luke stormed out of the room towards the parlor, and Thalia turned to me, her eyes burning with hatred and jealousy.

"What are you doing here?" she hissed, sparks visibly jumping between her fingers. "Last I checked, you were on your way to Olympus, away from our quest."

"I was sent to help," I told her calmly, noticing a flash of light from underneath the door that Luke had walked out of. If this was history repeating itself despite my intervention, I think I knew what was happening on the other side of the wall.

"We don't need your help, Andy." Thalia took a step forward and grimaced as her arm jostled from the sling loosening. It was a very makeshift sling, even by Cleo's standards, only being held up with some twigs and being composed of a small piece of cloth. I guess Cleo had run out of provisions sometime during the quest and didn't have a chance to restock.

"It's been three weeks," I reminded her gently. "Hermes was getting worried."

Thalia laughed humorlessly. "As if the gods actually care about their children. Hermes probably only sent you to make sure his name hasn't been dishonored."

"That's not true."

"Wow, only three weeks on Olympus and they've already brainwashed you. I thought you of all people would be more careful."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Thalia shook her head, deciding that I wasn't worth the effort, instead asking Cleo for an update while blatantly disregarding my question.

Okay, this wasn't the Thalia from the books who I adored. This was Thalia's dark side, where her bitterness was shining through instead of the goodness I knew she had inside of her. Gods, I understand her reasoning completely, but I never thought I'd live to see the day where Thalia was openly badmouthing Olympus.

Luke walked back into the room a few minutes later, just as his mom was starting to stir. "Goodness me," she said, holding a hand to her head as she slid off the table. "I've forgotten about the cookies."

"Let's go," Luke said gruffly, not sparing his mother a second glance before making a break for the front door before she could beg him to stay again.

Thalia and Cleo obeyed, shutting the door behind them as they followed Luke, leaving me alone in the kitchen with May Castellan as she tended to the cookies for a son who would never come home.

0o0o

I caught up with the trio as they loaded up into a black Honda Accord, Luke closing the trunk before going for the driver's seat. But before he got in the car, he looked up, jumping slightly in surprise as he finally realized that I had been here the whole time.

"He sent you," Luke said as a statement, eying me warily. His fingers drifted down to the hilt of his sword, stopping only once he had a firm grasp around the grip. "Why?"

"He thought you needed help."

"Well, you can tell dear old dad to stick it where the sun don't shine, because if he thinks sending you every time I need something is going to keep me here..." Luke cut himself off, shaking his head in anger. "He is mistaken. If you could please tell him to stay out of my life forever, that would be much appreciated."

"Luke," I started, reaching out for him.

"Don't follow us," he threatened, handing his sword to Thalia in the passenger seat before climbing into the car, slamming the door shut. Within seconds, the car was peeling out of the driveway, heading to gods-know-where.