Chapter 50

Percy, having realized that Hestia was in the throne room as well, then bowed in respect. "Lady Hestia," he said, getting up from his bow.

"I see you went through with your plan. You bear the curse of Achilles."

I turned to the goddess. "Not to be rude or anything, but is innate that all gods are this theatric when it comes to secrets?"

Hestia rolled her eyes, which actually seemed kind of cool seeing that her irises were little flames. "When you live with Zeus for millennia, his tendencies start to rub off on you." She fixed her attention back to Percy. "You must be careful, Percy. You gained much on your journey. But you are still blind to the most important truth. Perhaps a glimpse is in order."

Annabeth nudged him. "Um...what is she talking about?"

Then Percy went rigid, causing me to sigh and walk over, sliding my arms underneath his armpits and clasping my hands together in front of his chest.

"What are you doing?" Annabeth asked, gesturing to my hands.

"You'll see," I said, "in five, four, three, two..."

Percy's knees buckled, but since I was holding him up, he didn't have to learn what the throne room floor felt like against your face. Unfortunately, I speak from experience. Seriously, marble isn't kind to human flesh.

"Percy!" Annabeth exclaimed, rushing to help steady Percy. "What happened?"

"Did...did you see that?"

"See what?"

He turned to Hestia, but she had returned to stoking her fire.

"How long was I out?" Percy asked, rubbing his temples as if to stave off a forming headache.

Annabeth knit her eyebrows. "Percy, you weren't out at all. You just looked at Hestia for like one second and collapsed."

Percy grimaced. "Um, Lady Hestia," he said, "we've come on urgent business. We need to see-"

"We know what you need," a man's voice said.

Right next to Hestia, Hermes shimmered into appearance. Instead of wearing his red nylon running shorts and New York City Marathon t-shirt, he was dressed in a military pilot's flight suit, with tiny bird-s wings fluttering on his helmet and his black leather boots. In the crook of his arm was a long staff entwined with two living serpents.

"I will leave you now," Hestia said. She bowed to her nephew and disappeared into smoke.

Helpful, I thought to myself.

While the rest of the demigods bowed towards Hermes, I cocked my head to the side, giving him a once over. "Welcome back, Hermes," I said, waving my greeting to Martha and George before the snakes could call me out on it. "How's Typhon going?"

"About as well as what happened the first time," Hermes said with a scowl, the wings on his clothing fluttering agitatedly.

"Meaning we're massively screwed."

"Pretty much, yeah."

Annabeth shook her head at me, gesturing to the rest of the campers, who looked like they were either going to pee themselves or pass out from fright.

"Um, Hermes," Percy interrupted, raising his hand. "We need to talk to Zeus. It's important."

Hermes's eyes quickly lost their mirth at the sight of the demigods, turning steely cold. "I am his messenger. May I take a message?"

Towards the back end of the group, where most of the children of Hermes were, they shuddered, not having seen their father unnerved like this before. "You guys," Percy said, turning towards the rest of the demigods. "Why don't you do a sweep of the city? Check the defenses. See who's left in Olympus. Meet Annabeth and me back here in thirty minutes."