Chapter 26

I was currently riding shotgun in Alecto's bright red Mustang, some obscure Greek music blasting from the radio. I didn't even know we had Greek radio stations in the U.S., but Alecto proved me wrong.

The Fury was currently disguised as a businessman, her leathery face and talons taking the form of a clean-shaven man with normal limbs. She was wearing a gray pin-striped business suit, her gray hair having completely receded, leaving the man she was impersonating to be bald.

In the back seat were the two children of Hades, staring at Alecto for her taste in music. I didn't dare change the dial, not after learning about what Alecto had done to Tisiphone when she tried to turn off the voice wailing about pain and suffering and death. I enjoy having my hands attached to my body, thank you very much.

We'd only been in the car for a few hours when Nico started complaining that he needed to use the bathroom. Alecto pulled onto the side of the road and told him to go into a bush, but after earning a glare from me and a scared look from the di Angelos, she took us to an actual rest stop.

While Bianca took Nico inside to use the bathroom, I stayed with Alecto as she started to refuel the car. I shucked off my jacket and threw it back into my seat, the heat outside insufferable even though the sun was setting.

"You know, if you're trying to scare the kids, you're doing a great job," I said, placing a hand on my hip.

"My orders were to bring the children to their school," Alecto said, her lip curled into a nasty sneer that would've sent any person running. Fortunately for me, I'd hung out with the Fury enough times to be immune to most of her threats and attitude. "If they're uncomfortable, too bad."

"Take it easy on them. I mean, we did just tell them their father died."

"A necessary lie."

"Yes, but one that has devastated them. Try to be nice?"

"No."

I sighed as Alecto returned the gas pump to its station, swiping a pure black card through the card reader. Technically, she didn't need to pay for the gas, what with being a monster and all, but Hades had given her the card to keep up appearances and lower the chance of mortal police trying to investigate us.

She got back into the driver's seat and slammed the door shut, the sound of Greek wailing beginning to shake the entire care. I shook my head and walked towards the rest stop building, a large cube that held two mini-stores, seven different fast food restaurants, a dining area, and bathrooms in the back.

After taking advantage of the bathroom break, I went around the rest stop, trying to find the di Angelos. It wasn't that hard, actually. They'd been standing in front of one of the Dipping Dots vending machines, staring at the eight different flavors like they came from outer space.

"Superman?" Bianca asked, her eyebrows furrowed together. "What kind of ice cream flavor is that?"

"Ooh, ooh! I want cookies'n'cream!" Nico said, pointing to the picture on the front of the vending machine. He then turned to me and pulled out his puppy dig eyes, huge brown eyes that could convince anyone to do anything if he tried hard enough. "Pretty please, Bianca?"

"If Andy says it's okay..."

"Yeah, don't worry about it," I said, pulling out five dollar bills. "Do you want one?" I asked Bianca, putting in the money and pressing the cookies'n'cream button for Nico.

Bianca pursed her lips together, her eyes scanning over the different flavors before saying, "I think I want cookies'n'cream, too. If it's not too much trouble."