Chapter Fifteen:

Spencer's P.O.V.

“Please, can I have a moment?” I said, finally able to stop crying. They all nodded. Billy gave my hand a light squeeze and tried to walk away. “No, Billy. Please stay.” I knew I must have looked like a pitiful mess to him with me on my knees, looking up at him with my tear stained face. He nodded and knelt down next to me.

“Spencer, we are going to go to Mrs. White’s and then to the hotel.” Grandpa said, gruffly. I nodded and then placed my head on Billy’s broad shoulder. I heard their footsteps walk away and it was just us.

“This isn’t how I imagined it would be.”

“Imagine what?” Billy asked, wrapping his arms around me.

“Meeting my mom.” I whispered. I heard a soft ‘oh’ release from him.

“Love, I’m so sorry.” He whispered. “I wish I could have met her.”

“Me too.” I said, sadly. “She would have liked you.”

“What was she like?” Billy asked.

“She was nice and caring. Cooked like Grandma.” I said with a slight smile.

“I like her already.” His joking smile made my heart ache even more. My smile was weakly planted on my face. “Tell me more.” For about an hour, I told Billy about my mother. I diverged memories that I thought were long gone. They were mainly happy memories when I was younger. I didn’t have many happy memories once I hit my teenage years.

                Billy kissed my cold hands. At that moment, I noticed how cold I was. Our breath was shown in the air in front of us. “Are you ready?” Billy asked. The tip of his nose was red.

I sighed and said, ”Yes.” He got up and I gave him a look. He understood and walked over to a tree. I sat there, rereading the headstone a few times before speaking.

“Mom,” I started, “I really don’t know how or what to stay.” A small chuckle escaped my throat. “That was really cliché, wasn’t it?” My smile lingered on my lips and vanished. “But, Mom, I’m really sorry. I shouldn’t have left you alone. I should have made you come with me. We could have gotten you help sooner and I wouldn’t be… I wouldn’t be,” I wiped away tears that were on the verge of spilling. I took a deep breath. “I wouldn’t be saying goodbye to you right now.” Tears fell out without my permission. I furiously wiped them away.

“Bye, Mom. I love you.” I let out a heavy breath and got up. Without looking back, I walked over to Billy. He gave me a comforting smile.

“Are you ready to find your grandparents?” He asked.

“Umm… I was thinking I would show you around a bit.” I said, sheepishly. He looked at me a little surprised but said, “Yeah.”

“Cool,” I said, taking his hand. Billy smiled at my gesture. I leaned against him and walked out of the cemetery. The first place I showed him was downtown. I figured this was the safest time of the day, seeing as everybody was either at work or school.

“When I was younger, my mom used to go here and take me with her.” I said, smiling at the memories. Billy just nodded, letting me babble on. We weren’t interrupted until we ran into Dean Haynes. The look in his eyes were the same as they were on the day I was in his office. I stopped when I saw him. Billy looked confused until he saw his eyes.

“I see you brought your filth back in this town.” Dean Haynes spited at us. Billy stepped in front of me, protectively but not before I saw the anger blazing in his eyes.

“Not to be rude, sir but I think you meant love.” I said. It was clear to me that neither of them expected my comment. He just huffed and pushed past us, muttering under his breath.