Pages 48-59

SUPER: 12:10

OLIVIA(CONT.)

She talked sh*t all the time, about everybody.

COURTNEY

That sounds exhausting.

OLIVIA

I let it turn into me too. I... I probably wouldn't have said those things about you if I wasn't talking to her all the time. Except, I don't know. Maybe I still would have.

COURTNEY

That's okay.

OLIVIA

I'm sorry you overheard too. But to be fair, you did say that I was a clod or whatever and that you couldn't trust me to write anything for hand-in.

COURTNEY

That's my bad, I'm sorry too. Not that I... I just, I work in a very specific way and I just didn't know you.

OLIVIA

You win some, you lose some.

(BEAT)

COURTNEY

Yeah... I lost my best friend being the way that I am.

Olivia looks up, eyes narrowing, she's listening intently.

COURTNEY(CONT.)

We were friends growing up... Before high school, and she bought me my first notebook... For planning. Which is ironic because it's the exact reason she stopped being my friend, because people talk sh*t about it and me all the time.

OLIVIA

Who?

COURTNEY

Mari... she's in your gym class.

OLIVIA

You're still keeping up with her, Courtney?

She reaches forward to lightly push against Courtney's shoulder in jest, Courtney shrugs and looks away.

OLIVIA(CONT.)

So what happened?

COURTNEY

We hung out a lot in the summer, and she was being sweet and bought me that notebook as a gift. Then we started school and she decided that my writing everything down, down to the minute wasn't cool anymore. She stopped acknowledging me in public, and when I tried talking to her she acts like she doesn't know why I'm speaking.

OLIVIA

See, the difference between us is that I start our fights. I acknowledge your existence. That's lame acting like you're not even talking.

Courtney chuckles again, shrugging and looking back at the papers.

COURTNEY