The Vilest Emoticon You Can Think Of

Inej

    In her completely unbiased, professional, impersonal opinion, Kaz was completely suicidal. An absolute idiot that was going to one day get himself killed, and she would be stuck caring for his bony ass and stressing whenever the idiot got himself in trouble with the Russian authorities for what would likely be his last time (considering he'd already angered them a solid three times before).

    Although the distinction wasn't entire fair to make, she thought, forcing herself to calm down a little. Kaz worried after her leaping off buildings. He knew full well the consequences of a misplaced foot.

    But on the topic of the plan, it was suffice to say that the plan Kaz had crafted was insane. Full of possibilities for things to go wrong. If even a single person switched their mind or said something incorrectly, they'd all be dead. And Jan Van Eck had proven himself - he had hired a man specifically to hurt, or kill them.

    This is going to work, Inej reminded herself. She wasn't a fan of misplaced optimism (in her opinion, it was as bad as a misplaced foot) but Kaz had dragged them out of the darkest places before, sometimes simply by sheer force of will. With the six of them - Nina, Wylan, Jesper, Kaz, Matthias, and herself, there was a chance of this going well.

    She sighed and opened the window. Easily slipping out, she clung to the side of the house as she carefully crept down silently. Her figure blended in easily with the darkness of the night, and soon Inej was traveling to where she knew Matthias' post to be.

    And there he was, the glorious sight of a worried blonde staring at into a ghost manor.

    "Matthias," she said urgently. Sergie was there as well - ah, Sergie, she smiled inwardly - and hurriedly, the tall blonde man climbed down from his post.

    "Inej," he said, pulling her into a hug. "What's been going on? We've heard nothing from anyone in... forever."

    Inej bristled with guilt. They'd forgotten the amount of stress Matthias must have been under, knowing all his friends were inside, yet having no clue of anything. "I'm sorry," she said honestly, tightening her arms. "It's been... I... I won't forget about this night for a very long time Matthias."

    He pulled back and Sergie gave her a sympathetic smile. "The first few are always like this," he said, pulling her into a hug as well. "It will get easier."

    Swallowing the words she wanted, she nodded and gave him a quiet thank you. "Kaz has a plan," she said, staring at the two of them. "It's a big plan. It's likely to go wrong."

    "But if it all goes right..." Matthias finished. "We'll be in the clear."

    "We'll be in the clear forever," she corrected. "It's likely Jan Van Eck will never recover if this goes well."

    Matthias' eyebrows shot up. He knew her views on misplaced optimism. "If you say that he'll never recover, then he will actually never recover," he said warningly. "Inej, are we going to kill a man tonight?"

    She shook her head. "Kaz wouldn't go that far," she said weakly, though they both knew she was wrong. Kaz's limits were far further than either Matthias or Inej, and they both knew that. "But are you in?"

    The question remained unasked and unanswered. How far would Kaz Brekker go for a plan?

    Matthias heard the question as well, but he ignored it and shot her an exasperated smile. "What else could I be?" he asked, tilting his head. "I'm stuck with all you crazy people as friends."