In His Hands

Chapter 20: In His Hands
Adeline

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm the teacher's aid. She asked me to sit here until she got back."

Looking out the corner of my eye, I notice Easton looking at me, a blush rising to my face.

The boys start talking to me and I simply nod, dragging the only empty seat to the front of the room.

"... I'm from Iowa...."

The younger boy in the room starts talking and I sit down, listening to what he had to say,

Before Easton cuts him off.

My head was hurting from last night and the events of today and I was struggling to stay awake, pain taking over.

I start nodding off and soon fall asleep, still listening to the boys.

"Look."

I hear a click noise but don't open my eyes, only thinking of it as someone taking a picture.

I hear them start to get louder, making my head pound harder.

"Shut up before you wake her up."

"Awe, is Easton standing up for his mistress?" My brother's friend, Lawson, teases, causing Easton to cough and I scowl in my sleep.

"I don't fucking like her, Lawson. She's a bitch."

"Yeah sure." The room goes silent and I relax my body, hoping that it would stay that way. "Hey, Adeline!"

Lawson yells and I jump, rubbing my eyes. "Yeah?"

"I'm throwing a party next weekend. You're invited."

"I don't think I can go. I-" Yawning, I start to explain myself but he cuts me off, begging.

"Oh come on, you're Kaleb's baby sister. You have to go."

"I'll ask him to take me, I guess." I shrug, resting my head back on the table.

"Great."

Time passes and I hear them start to exit the room, leaving me alone.

A hand wraps under my leg before picking me up and I start to open my eyes, barely recognizing the feeling.

But I've felt it before.

"Calm down." The person mutters before bending again, probably picking up my bag. "Go back to sleep."

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

"Open the god damn door."

"Why do you have her?"

"She was with me. Fucking idiot." I hear the person grumble before adjusting me, walking again. "Her room?"

"You could leave her on the couch, Easton." I hear my brother laugh as Easton walks upstairs.

How did I not recognize his voice?