When We Start

Chapter 01: When We Start
Adeline

"You have syrup on your lip!"

"I do?"

"Yeah." He calls back, biting his lip. "Move your finger down."

He instructs and I brush all over my face, finally feeling the sticky spot. Wiping off my finger in a napkin, I pick off another piece of my pancake, giving him my attention once more.

"Better?" I smile, watching his head lower, his fluffy hair falling in front of his face.

"Much better." Easton smiles back to me, tilting his head.

Easton Kim. Chestnut brown eyes. Dark brown medium length hair with navy blue ends, he has an undercut. His smile shapes into a heart when he's really happy.

"What are you thinking about, Addy?" He asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Hmm? Nothing. Don't worry about it."

Easton, the only person who gets me sometimes.

And then he doesn't.

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

"You're such a bitch! A fat bitch!"

"Tell her again, baby. Oh, hit her again!" His girlfriend cheers him on as he kicks me again, smiling mischievously.

"You'll never be anything."

Easton squats to my level and wiping the corner of my lip, my cut burning.

"I guess she's pretty though." He mutters to himself, barely audible as he let's go of me.

Standing to my feet, I stumble out of the cafeteria, dragging myself down the hall and into the girl's bathroom.

"Ew. Let's go, best friend."

Two girls scorn me as I walk in and they push past me to get out.

I look at myself in the mirror, pouting. My eyes look back to me and I shake my head, not breaking eye contact.

"You aren't real." I wipe my finger across my eyes, wiping some of the makeup off. "There you are."

I was finally looking at someone who was close to me.

Ever since I was little, my parents made me hide myself. I've worn padding around my stomach, and makeup to imitate dark eyes.

My parents never told me why, then only said I had to and I never question them.

I just wish I didn't have to. It hurts sometimes.

"It hurts all the time."

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

"And god. Show me a sign."

"You have a sign right here."

"A beautiful, long living, kind sign." I continue, ignoring him.

"Dear god! Give me a sign!" Easton yells from across his window, cutting me off. "A sign with deep big brown eyes! And a big smile! Who won't ignore me."

He smiles, opening an eye to look at me.

I roll my eyes, not forgetting what he did to me.

"No."

I close the window in his face, pursing my lips as I finish my prayer.

"Amen."

Sighing in delight, I take my padding off and set it on the chair, ready to go to bed.

My lip was still swollen from earlier, pulsing slightly.

Things like that happen everyday, I'll survive.

It's easy. And you're fine, Adeline.

It's fine.