S02E16 | country

SEASON TWO, EPISODE SIXTEEN

COUNTRY

MIYU

          "WE'RE LATE FOR CLASS."

          A.J. rolled to the side, covering her eyes with her arm, when Miyu pushed open the curtains in their room. Though it was still cold, it was a sunny day outside, too bright for them to have woken up in time for the first lecture of the day.

          "I don't think I'm going," A.J. groaned, hiding her head underneath her pillow. "It's dance class. I'm not in the mood for dancing at eight-thirty in the morning." When Miyu didn't answer, she lifted the pillow ever so slightly, just enough to leave half of her face uncovered. Miyu sat at the end of her bed, with a leg beneath her, all ready to go. "Aren't you going to drag me out of bed?"

          "Not at all," Miyu replied. Confused, A.J. tossed her pillow aside and propped herself up on an elbow. "It's not like I can force you to go to class, but midterms are done, and you have a doctor's note that excuses you from those final exams." Miyu regretted saying that as soon as she did, unable to not notice how A.J. stiffened and hid deeper under the covers. "You already dance enough in glee club, anyway, so the energy you're not spending in final exams is being spent elsewhere, so it works out just fine."

          A.J. sighed, not looking her in the eyes anymore. "Your point is?"

          "My point is that I think you're overworked and deserve some rest. Take care of yourself."

          A.J. fell back on the bed, hands folded over her stomach, and kept her eyes glued to the ceiling. "Miyu, I'm fine." She said it like Miyu hadn't heard those words several times before, more often than not followed by disastrous consequences—Regionals, the sing-off with Sasha at the beginning of the school year, freshman year. "I'm not tired. I'm just not in the mood to dance around a room so early in the morning. It's boring and I'm not a dance major to pretend it's not. At least show choir has a sense of purpose and the choreographies make the slightest bit of sense."