S02E05 | valentine's day

SEASON TWO, EPISODE FIVE

VALENTINE'S DAY

A.J.

          "SO," Diana began, dipping a fry in her milkshake, earning herself grimaces from both Fleetwood twins. Miyu was slightly more discreet with her disgust, simply choosing to look away. "Now that the drama is over and things are going back to normal, are you going back to normal?"

          A.J. shifted in her seat, pondering her next move.

          Diana would never really understand; everything that had gone down during the past couple of months couldn't be explained in simple terms like 'drama'. Things would never fully go back to 'normal', whatever that meant, no matter how often people tried to tell her that it was over and she could go out in the world without fear. That wasn't how things worked. There were no miraculous solutions.

          She knew the blog team still despised and resented her. She'd been informed Sasha had orchestrated the entire plan to unmask Jolene and, even though Sasha had assured her she'd gladly handle the social consequences herself, A.J. still feared other people might not take that lightly. Between the two of them, Sasha was the one people generally liked; there was a clear difference between being idolized and being liked.

          Worse than that, she was still trying to come to terms with her personal, private life being in the public eye now. Something that had always been her secret was now known by the entire world, and all eyes were on her. She hadn't even sought professional help and she knew her mental health was in shambles; sometimes, it felt impossible to get out of bed and face the world.

          She'd also betrayed them, in a way, even though she hadn't had a choice. Joining Descant Get Enough for their Sectionals performance had been the final nail in the coffin, a clear statement that she was cutting all ties with her former group, and she knew some people wouldn't exactly welcome her back with open arms. She'd contributed to a win everyone knew Descant Get Enough would get regardless, whereas The Twilight Tone had struggled to patch itself back together after she left.