seven. geralt's p.o.v.

Geralt was usually quiet, but Jamie was not

Geralt was usually quiet, but Jamie was not. It could be because she was in a foreign place but that never stopped her from speaking before. Instead, he knew it was because she was irritated with him. And he wanted to hear her reason.

With a small sigh, Geralt looked back at Jamie, "You did good."

He didn't expect it, he thought she would turn away and ignore him. But instead she gave him a soft smile, "Thanks."

He was telling the truth. She had been reading for a long time about different monsters and all the ways she could help him. So just knowing from the knowledge in her mind made him feel a little proud.

Geralt hadn't moved from in front of Jamie after they got inside the dining room with the king. Who was too busy stuffing his own face to speak with them.

"Miss Merigold, you were dispatched to settle a family affair, not to enlist a mutant mercenary and his whore for a game of sleuthing."

Triss squinted her eyes, "Do not refer to Miss Jamie in such a degrading manner. This is no game, Captain. Tonight is a full moon. Geralt and Jamie have already proved themselves to be invaluable. We believe we can cure the creature."

"You say she's a girl. Then you will refer to her as Her Royal Highness."

The same man from the mines who had been spat on crossed the room, "Segelin, I believe urgency warrants flexibility in court decorum."

Segelin still disagreed, "The witcher's theory is nonsense. Princess Adda was the people's angel. Who'd wish to murder her?" Triss ended up looking back at Geralt and Jamie, but was cut off before she could answer.

Instead, Geralt answered gruffly, "What about her lover?" This was completely intended due to the fact that the king was awfully quiet. And with his question, he noticed that the attitude of the king had completely shifted.

"Seditious rumors. Idle courtesans trading out boredom for jealousy."

Triss shook her head, "Perhaps if you called off your guards, if we were able to search the abandoned castle, we could find clues as to who cursed her."

Segelin harsh eyes fell back on Geralt, "Except this witcher would kill the princess as she sleeps, and collect the miners' coin."

"Call her a princess." Geralt interrupted without caring about hurting their feelings, "Call her a unicorn if you'd like to. She grew inside Adda, feeding on her petrified womb."

"Have you no respect-"

He continued, "Mutating. Growing for years till she got so hungry..." Geralt took slow steps towards them, pressing his words into them like a knife. He didn't care if his words were not kind, they were the truth, "-she was forced to slither out. Rotten muscle, bent bones, two spidery legs, claws dragging in the dirt. An overgrown abortion."