[ twenty one ]

Lunch had passed relatively quickly after Jeno had jumped back into the conversation with the others.

Although he was still a little shaken from earlier, Jeno managed to push it to the side. Renjun was glad to see the boy acting like he was having fun, and he was hoping that he would be able to learn more about the group of friends he was with now.

Although they shared no classes with each other, Renjun knew that he'd at least be able to see Chenle after school.

So, per usual, he headed to his final class of the day, he walked down the relatively empty hallway as he let himself think.

He allowed his thoughts to swamp him, the new joy he accepted to his life, but also the darkest parts of his brain showed up as well.

He wasn't paying attention as to where he was going, but he wasn't worried because he knew that there wasn't much danger in these hallways.

Slowly, but surely, he made his way to his class.

He had a free period before, allowing him to always be early to his literature class. He liked the silence before the rest of the students filled the classroom with their loud conversations and even louder whispers.

Renjun wasn't very sociable in the eyes of his classmates, rather closed in to himself, and surprisingly hot headed at times, so not many people approached him.

With the help of Chenle at some times, he was able to gain small friendships with other Chinese speaking students, but Renjun didn't always want to approach those he knew.

He liked being by himself, alone in life, even though he truly wasn't, he enjoyed the thought of silence.

Something was comforting in the thought of nothingness, to Renjun, it was an escape.

He didn't mean to blow up like he had with his ex-boyfriend, if he could even call the other that, rather it was more of a heat-in-the-moment type of ordeal, and he was even the slightest bit ashamed that he had let himself go like that.

The other had deserved it, and it was well past due, but Renjun still hated the fact that he allowed such a small comment could get him heated like that.

He usually tried to step back of the situation, not try to escalate it further.

But he had bottled up all the pain and betrayal for far too long, and he had exploded.

He let his fingertips brush the tops of the faux wooden desks, the smoothness stemming into his emotions, calming him in the slightest.

Slinking into his assigned seat, he allowed himself to relax into the harsh metal of the seat, dropping his book bag haphazardly onto the floor.

He rested his head onto his cool hands, looking outside the window at the autumn colors reflected in the trees.

Taking a deep breath, he reached for his bag, quickly taking out his journal, hoping to write something before the empty classroom was filled.

His fingers gripped onto the slightly worn leather of his journal, pulling tightly and opening the pages until he reached a blank page.

His pen was residing, as if it already knew what he was planning to do, in the empty page, where he had purposely placed it for a time that called for it, just like this moment.

Renjun found familiarity in the strokes he created on the pages, his mother tongue throwing itself onto the pages, as if he weren't writing at all. Like the language was in control and he was simply releasing the story it wanted to tell.