SEVENTEEN.

ALEX.

"You know, you're a fucking ass for disappearing? How dare you leave me alone the entire holiday!"

"I was busy!" I protested as I stuffed my sandwich into my mouth.

Vanessa's hands came up and nudged my arms, threatening to force my food down my throat. Luckily I dodged in time.

"Busy sucking his dick?"

My mouth dropped. "I didn't peg you to be someone so vulgar!"

"And I didn't think you would actually fall for him."

I shrugged my shoulders. "Things change, people change."

"Whatever floats your boat, Al." Vanessa downed the rest of her tea before packing her things. "Look, I needa run. Not everyone has a rich ass boyfriend to support their living expenses. You owe me a good meal and three hours worth of details between the two of you for ditching me like that. Oh, throw in your Netflix password while you're at it"

I rolled my eyes. Who in the world makes such demands? "You can be so annoying at times, you know that."

She blew me a kiss. "Love you you ass! Bye!" She waved me good-bye and left me sitting alone with my half-eaten sandwich.

As much as she's crazy, I knew she was kind of worried about me. I was a little too caught up with spending time with Nathan lately.

I was happily enjoying my sandwich and watching people walk by when a woman made her presence known, standing right in front of me.

"Yes?" I looked up at the person blocking my view.

"Are you Alex Lim?"

"Yeah, I am. How do you know my name?" I placed my sandwich down and stared at her warily.

There was something about her. Like I've seen her somewhere before. Her eyes were the same shade, hazel-brown. They screamed familiarity and I didn't like it one bit.

"May I? I've been wanting to talk to you for weeks." She rubbed her thumb back and forth her knuckles.

"Sure, take a seat." Fuck, I'm too nice.

I squinted my eyes at her as she sat down. "Who are you?"

"Who do you think I am?"

I looked at her appearance. Unkempt long jet-black hair that covered her tiny face, clothes so over-sized that made her look like a clothes rack hanging onto the clothes. The colour in her face pale, faint wrinkles masking her age. Her eye bags were do prominent, you could hide gold in it.

She tucked some hair behind her left ear, her sleeve draping down her arm, revealing her forearm. Marks were scattered all over.

"You remind me of someone, and I damn hope I'm wrong about it." And my hunches were hardly wrong.

"Name's Katherine. I'm Nathan's birth mother," she mumbled, under her breath.

"And it was nice talking to you. Good bye." I answered faster than you could call my name. I stood up and grabbed my things, wanting to be no where near this mad woman.

"Wait!" She grabbed me by the wrist. "I need to talk to you."

"Nah-ah." I yanked my arm free from her grasp.