SEVEN.

NATHAN.

Five months. It has been five months since we signed the contract.

To be honest, I have never thought of dating anyone up until now. I was probably hard-wired not to pour out my heart and soul to anything living or breathing.

All my life, I have been working around the clock, thinking of the next business move for my company. Whatever that was legal, I wanted a hand in it. From building shopping malls to real estate to helping start-up companies build their career. You name it, we do it.

The world of a workaholic finally came to a stop when a man stepped into my office. His company was facing some cash flow problems due to the lack of customers over the last year or so. He wanted to sell 10 percent of the company's shares to me in exchange for coming up with a new business plan to help overcome the issue at hand.

He was a daring one for selling me his shares, but I saw potential in the business and decided to invest in it.

I was all-in for this and had already done up a good business proposal. Just before we signed, Mr Lim's phone lit up and I saw this beautiful person on his lock screen. He was smiling so widely for the camera.

"Who is that?" I asked, unable to hide my curiosity.

"Well sir, that's my son." He said proudly.

"He takes after you, that's for sure," I commented. Mr Lim thanked me for the compliment, looking fondly at his son's picture.

"He is my pride and joy. He is very kind and loving, though he can be a little annoying when it comes to his snarky remarks," he said.

I looked at Mr Lim, heart filled with envy. I never had anyone look at me that way before. It hit me that I have been alone all my life.

I briefly wondered what it would be like to have someone care for you, being able to accept someone as a whole, flaws and all. I wondered if anyone was able to accept someone like me.

"I would love for you to meet him. You seem like a nice guy. I'm sure you'll get along just fine."

That was the moment I decided to change up the proposal, creating a contractual engagement with his son. And in return, his shares would remain in his pocket while I continue with my investment.

Looking at the current situation, dinners and small talk doesn't seem to help us progress much. Seems like the date a few months back did little help in getting us past any bases.

Was it because I pushed him away last time?

I internally sighed. I just can't have someone come so close to me. Not yet.

The last time I had someone come so close, I ended up in a room with four white walls surrounding me, my nose and lungs filled with the smell of disinfectant and the sound of a machine going beep, beep, beep.

Muffled laughter from across the room pulled me back from my thoughts. I looked up from my laptop and saw that Alex was smiling at his own. That kid was definitely not smiling at my schedule for the day.

"Kiddo, you're not off the clock yet," I stated.

"Well, I have nothing to do right now," he answered with his eyes still glued to the screen.

"You're working. It's office hours," I reminded him a little more sternly.

"As I said, I have nothing to do. Let me finish up my show." He still wasn't looking at me. Damn this kid.

"Kiddo, get me my coffee with-"

"2 sticks of sugar and a creamer. I already told you to stop telling me how to make your coffee you naggy old man," he said, voice elevated. "And stop calling me kiddo, I'm 22 damn it."

"This naggy old man here happens to be your boss-slash-fiancé." I folded my arms, leaning back in my chair. My face expressionless.

"Stop reminding me, you ass. And it's only for a few more months!" His nostrils flared, his eyes shooting me daggers. Oh, he's annoyed. He stood up from his seat and stomped his way the door.

"Tuck in your shirt while you're at it!" I shouted a little so that he could hear. I heard him groan in frustration but he still went and made me my coffee and that made me very pleased.

——————

"Here's your god damn coffee, you ass," he muttered furiously under his breath. I glanced at his hand as he placed the cup down on the coaster.

The only time I held his hand was when we went on our first date and I have never held it since. Was it weird of me to think that I wanted to hold his hand more often?

Would he let me? Would I let him come close?

Pushing the thoughts away, I held the cup up and took a swig. "Thanks, though it's still a little hot, it's alright. And please change the nickname. 'Ass' isn't a very one."

He rolled his eyes at me and went back to his desk. Did I annoy him a little too much?

After a brief moment of silence, I decided to test my luck. "Hey."

"What is it now, love? Need me to run to the bakery and get you donuts too?" he shot back at me, in a very loving tone. "Or would you rather I collect your laundry for you as well?"

Yeah, 100% annoyed.

I cleared my throat, feeling a little sorry that I teased him too much. "There is this lights exhibition that is happening at The Bay. It's a once-a-year event."

"You mean Midnight Lights?" Both his eyebrows went an inch up his forehead and he straightened his back. I nodded my head.

"Yeah, I heard about it. Been wanting to go but Vanessa is refusing to go along with me, so I'm kinda bummed out. Why do you ask?" his tone suggesting he was interested.

"You want to head down this weekend? You can take your camera with you. Heard the displays are really nice this year." The kid was practically radiating excitement now.

"You mean, you're willing to go with me?" he pointed to me then back at himself.

"Why not?" my mouth forming a slight smile. "So what do you say? It's a date?"

He nodded, though he had a face full of doubt. "Sure, it's a date."

--------------

(1091 words)

A/N: Hey, Nathan's POV. How are ya?

Even though I designed his character, I must say. His poker face game is too strong.

Anyways, Nathan has another shot at bridging the gap between the two of them. Will he be able to do it or fail miserably? Let me hear your guesses!

Any thoughts on the story?

How's it going so far for you? Anything I can do better? Comment away!

See you all in the next part!