Chapter 11 - Fuga

January 28th.

P O V - Avery

It's getting closer to the day where they're going to turn me into an emotionless machine.

I don't get much feedback over the earpiece, but when I do, it's short information, or Pip comes on to say hi. I have to be a little quiet when speaking back, I don't want anyone thinking I'm crazy, or somehow communicating to the outside world.

That would probably force me to go into this new training earlier. So, I was careful. Dr. Jodey still came in for daily checks and chit chats, but his happy attitude seemed to be faltering a bit.

He kind of sounded sad, he seemed a little obsessed as well. Over the past few weeks, I noticed small things he did while interacting with me.

When I ask him a question, he always seems off guard and almost always starts the sentence off with "oh!"

Other times, he's speaking quickly or staring out the window while we talk about subjects that were off-topic from my situation. Small talk. I'm gonna miss this dude. Hopefully, he stays out of my way...

________________________________

Later that night, I heard a small crackle from the earpiece. I heard the voice of the Boss faintly. I didn't know what to call him, so I asked Pip and that was all I got...

'You want to explain it then? ....Alright Boss, she's all yours...'

I heard a squeak of a chair and clicks of shuffling before hearing-

'Avery dear~'

Ah, good thing I'm alone right now.

"Erm, yes? I'm here."

'It's about time you've come out of there. Look outside your window darling.'

I did what I was told and looked out. There's a van with some type of skull on it further away. Closer to the building, I can see a few people hiding, they were moving quickly and I assume they were getting into their positions or distracting the facility guards.

"Holy crap, you're getting me out right now?"

'That's correct Avie'

"Don't say that."

'Why not? Only your boyfriend can?'

"I don't like him using it either, and you don't get to as well."

'Oh? Guess we'll just won't break you out.'

"I won't make that high tech boss chair you wanted."

'....I do need a new chair.'

Score! I win, but what do I do? Do I just wait to be saved? I'm sure I have to do someth-

'Oh yeah, don't forget to press the emergency button and run to the 2nd floor alright?'

"What!? Excuse you, I wasn't informed of this earlier!"

'Didn't want you accidentally blurting it out. Don't fret, Pippy here well tell you where to go, isn't that right?'

'SHUT UP!'

'That's a good Pippy.'

"Alright fine, just- put him on, he's more reassuring and trustworthy than you right now."

'Hmph'

...

More shuffling. Oh, that's Pip's voice.

"Hello Pip!"

'Uhm- hi- so when I give the signal, that's when you book it, alright? The emergency button is at the end of the hall. Luckily, you're extremely close to it. After pressing it, don't hesitate to start running down the stairs. If you can, slide down the railing if you can, it preserves your energy. Try not to get caught by any one of the guards, there shouldn't be many anyway, our boys will take care of it'