Chapter 9 - Secrets

I have hair! It finally grew back in fully and I feel so much better. I was finally able to use it to cover up my face a little... it felt comfortable. My 6 months of therapy was almost over, just a month and a half to go. And along with that, Dr. Jodey was with me almost every session. I like him.

He would always give me words of encouragement and happiness. He kept me going when I felt like giving up.

Do they do this for all patients? I haven't seen many others...

Oh, someone is coming in. It's just Jodey. He's holding papers... he looks a little troubled. My throat has healed my speaking was practically clear compared to when I first came back alive.

"Jodey, is something wrong?"

He looked at me and shook his head.
"Oh, nothing! Just too deep in thought, I guess. You know how that goes. You think of one thing and it opens up to a pit. Horrible feeling sometimes."

"I see."

He smiled and started to speak again.

"You've done great on your therapy. You're ready to move on to the next part. The final exam you could say? Oops, sorry I bet that reminded you of school."

Huh... oh yeah, I haven't thought about that lately, how was everyone doing there? And, Jannie... my parents... everyone. Did they forget about me? Why haven't they visited-

"Avie?"

"Oh! Yes?"

"You look troubled"

"Just... thinking"

"You can talk to me about it."

He would actually do that? I guess I could get some answers... that would really ease me up. I nodded at him and he pulled one of the swivel chairs from the corner of the room.

"The college I was going to... any word from them?"

"What I know is that they've sent your work here, which is why we were able to restore you. They still have access to some of your stuff, but I don't know if they are able to continue your works."

"My family then... do they know that I'm here?"

Silence.

"Jodey?"

"No. They don't."

What?

"Why?"

"We- didn't exactly get their permission to bring you back to life... right now, you are still legally dead..."

"So... you mean to tell me... you dug me out of my grave, brought me back to life, had me endure through painful therapy... just for me to continue my work? Does that mean I can't see my family again and show up on their porch, greeted with happy smiles? They'll just deny me wouldn't they? Why didn't you tell them?"

"I- it's not under my control Avery, I was only here to work on your revival, I swear!"

...

...

"Who killed me."

"What?"

"Who. Killed. Me?"

"I don't have knowle-"

"WHO!"

Oh. I feel a little bad now. I didn't want to yell at him.

"We... have documents about it, I never went through it because I felt like I didn't need to know. I'm not sure what are in the files, so you may not like what you see."

"Give them to me anyway. I need to know what happened."

He nodded at me and left. He also left the file that was in his hands on the desk near me. I wonder what that is about... it has my last name on it...

I'm sure it's just some files on my health. I better check it out, they better not be telling me I'm fine when I'm dying.

I reached over and brushed my metallic hand on it. I picked it up and brought it to my lap. I opened it up and stared at the words.

Project: Bipedal Cyber-Sentry
Subject: Avery Chronos
Alternative: Digital Warrior

Training Session:
Begins February 12th, 2046
End: —— 2050

What the hell is this? I'm not training for 4 years. What are they gonna do with me? I'm not some meatbag to use to fight with. I'm just me. I'm not doing anything for them!

...

I hear steps coming back. Must be Jodey. I placed the file back neatly, as if it had never been touched.

He's back with my other files.
It's time to find out more.

_________________________________

Insert Events of Chapter Four.