“Kath will explain, but all you need to know is that…it’s her fault” I said taking Kath with me.

“it’s not my fault, blame the rain” Kath refuted. I took Kath inside and gave her a towel.

“Take off your clothes then take a bath. I will put hot water on the fire for you” I told Kath.

“Oh, thank you” Kath nodded and went to her room. We both changed and took warm baths before going to sleep quickly after a busy day.

The next day was Sunday and Mum, Sam and I went to church. Kath stayed behind and I am sure I saw her sniffling and coughing. I am pretty sure she has a cold now.

I told her not to play in the rain but she didn’t listen, she never listens. We returned home and found Kath wrapped in blankets and coughing into tissue papers.

“What happened?” Mum asked concerned, immediately running to Kath’s aid.

“i-I-I am n-not feeling too well” Kath answered, her teeth jittering. I went to Kath’s other side and began to scold her, “I told you not to play in the rain but you never listen. You are no longer a child”.

“Stop scolding her and help her” Mum yelled at me, “I know what to do. Since she is feeling cold, she should rub menthol all over her body. Then Sam, go and buy cold medicine for Katherine”.

“really?” Sam asked, finding it difficult to leave. He reluctantly went out and heeded to mother’s word. I took Kath inside and did what mom said, with help from the damsel in distress.

“t-thank you d-Dave” Kath weakly smiled.

“Stop thanking me. We are friends, friends help each other, now do me a favor. Get some rest and get well soon” I said, “you should take a nap first. I think you will fell better after that”.

Kath didn’t seem to like the idea of taking a nap but she didn’t have a choice. I made her lie on the bed and she slept off almost immediately. She was really tired. I knew she shouldn’t have played in the rain!

I changed into a singlet and a pair of shorts and came to the living room. Sam was watching football, again. “Don’t you ever watch anything apart from football?!” I complained reaching out to take the remote which Sam held captive.

“Keep quiet and watch” Sam said, holding on to the remote tighter. I looked at him deadpanned and sat next to him. “Dave! Come and help me cook!” mom yelled from the kitchen.

I winced and muttered, “come on!”.

Sam laughed softly at me, “aren’t you the chef? You like cooking so why are you complaining?”. I narrowed my eyes at Sam then went to the kitchen to help mom. Just because I’m a chef doesn’t mean I like cooking all the time! I get tired too!.

I didn’t want to complain so mom would blackmail me emotionally then make me feel worse. My mom may seem down to earth but when she starts her theatrics, you are done for. I quietly help her make the food. It wasn’t complicated. It was just rice and stew but still.

“I heard that you and Katherine stood in the rain last night” mom stated more than asked but I nodded anyways. “You should be careful, you might get sick soon”.

“I’ll be careful mom” I replied I nonchalantly. We finished cooking quickly and that’s when Sandra arrived. “Sandra, welcome” Sam smiled.

“Thanks, hi Dave” Sandra waved at me.

“Hey” I nodded.

Sandra looked around, “Where’s Kath?”.

“she is inside sleeping. She is sick” Sam answered for me. Sandra nodded, “oh”. Sandra sat next to Sam and watched football but her attention was more on me and Sam.