Chapter 63: Will You Listen?

Start from the beginning

He grinned at her response and pinched her cheeks, watching as she snapped at him to stop. He did, though he didn't stop smirking. Clearing his throat, he continued speaking, his tone turning more lighthearted than it was before. She seemed to calm his nerves as well as his stress and it did not go unnoticed by the male.

"Isao got stabbed," he sighed, massaging his temples, "It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but there was a fight with a rival group and a few of my guys died. Well, I wouldn't call them our 'rivals'. They're weak and stupid and have more bark than bite, but once in a while, they do something that hurts my guys and it gets me on edge."

"Oh," (Y/n) said, not knowing exactly what to say to the male.

"Hah," he chuckled, "You don't have to say anything, just listen is all. That's all I need. I'm over this whole thing. My mother and the guys are becoming pretty protective of me because of it. Not that I need it. It's just I'm typically looking out for them. It's...ugh, I don't know how to - "

"You want to be strong for them?" the girl asked, rolling her eyes when the male looked surprised, "It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. You're inheriting the control over your mother's yakuza group, aren't you? I mean, wouldn't you want to be a reliable leader for them and set a good example?"

"You're really something," Yamato laughed, "But, yeah, I guess that's it. They look up to me but this new incident makes them treat me like I'm above them. I mean, I guess that sounds the same. What I'm trying to say is that I want to lead them, but I also want to be a part of them too."

He continued to talk about "the guys", his spirits lifting as he enthusiastically talked about all the stupid things they did and all the trouble they got into. His expression changed from his typically tough front to one with the utmost compassion for his loved ones. He laughed and smiled widely, uncaring that he was seen doing so. In fact, he seemed more concerned over displaying the great things about his companions than over his image.

"Isao's pretty great, too," Yamato finally said, a calm smile spreading from one cheek to the other, "He's selfless and always sticks up for people. It always gets him in trouble though. He's such an idiot."

"You say that, but I don't think you mean it," (Y/n) pointed out.

"No, guess not, huh?" he chuckled before quieting his laughing and turning to her with a teasing expression on his face, "I don't think you hate me as much as you say you do~."

"What?" the girl asked, scuffling back from him, "You were going to kill people! You abducted me! Of course, I hate you!"

"Maybe," he hummed, a smirk playing on his lips once more, "but would you really act so kindly to help someone you hated?"

The girl paused, thinking over the question with great conviction in her heart. When she determined her answer, she let out a faint "yes" and the male had a great look of surprise. His eyebrows were raised, his mouth slightly agape as he pondered her answer. Then he smiled softly, understanding the true explanation behind her answer. He understood she was truly and deeply kind. He knew that despite her personal feelings towards someone, would put that aside to help them if need be.

"Akari was right," he scoffed, still grinning, "Guess I owe him a grand. Oh, well. I think...no, I know it was worth it. Let's speak again like this. It was...nice."

There was a large, uncomfortable pause in the conversation as the male looked away in embarrassment. The girl, feeling strangely about his comments, took her time to observe the room she was in. The sun was setting, making the room slightly darker than it was when she first set foot into it, but she could still see everything clearly. The room was largely traditional with many different antiques around the room. The floor was comprised of tatami mats and the slightly ajar door to the closet revealed only traditional kimonos. At least, from what she could see. The dogs were laying on the floor, tuckered out from the events of the day. (Y/n) let out a yawn, realizing that she, too, was in need of a good night's sleep.