Chapter 1: Awake

"1...

2...

3...

4...

5...

6...

7...

8..."

...

"Where am I? Why is it so dark in here?"

She examined her surroundings until she saw a glowing figure standing fifteen meters apart from her and lending out their hand towards her.

"Do you trust me?"

"I do..."

"Come and follow me..."

She became puzzled, but didn't want to ask questions. Her mind was empty as she lingered her gaze over the light that was radiating across from her. She took a few seconds to realize that their hand gesture was a sign of invitation.

Breathing in and taking the steps forward, everything else began to fade out in white. Then, she heard soft audible noises in the background while her eyes were still closed.

"Sir, it is best if you should wait until tomorrow," the female nurse advised politely.

"I don't care! I want to see her now!" A male voice demanded.

"We are still checking up on her condition, so please try to calm down," she said.

"When will she wake up?"

"It may take weeks, months, or so," the doctor answered.

"Alright..." he muttered with a sigh as he went to the waiting area and sat on one of the chairs.

"We'll inform you if Ms. Nown is fully conscious," the doctor noted, then he walked away with the female nurse.

"Good night, Mr. Cha," she bowed her head down a little and scurried along. As she glanced at her co-worker, she held the checkerboard list tightly on her arm before entering the C2 room.

They both closed the door behind them and spoke distinctly to each other.

"We were assigned by our boss and this procedure may take a while," she pointed out.

"I know. That's why we have to use the amount of sedation to insert the needles in her..." the doctor said nonchalantly.

"What... Sedation...?" Valerie repeated the word in her mind. Her eyelids were fluttering open, but it was still blurry. She moved her vision around till it landed on the two essential workers. "What do they want...?"

"Preparation will be done in 30 seconds," the female nurse was holding the syringe with the needle facing upwards as the vial is filling in. Then, she drew back the plunger and gently tap the side of the syringe to dislodge air bubbles.

"Are you ready?" The doctor asked quietly.

"Let's do it," she gave a reassuring nod and leaned in closer to insert the tip of the needle in the patient's right arm, whereas the other in her left one.

Slow, but in a steady pace, there was a quick grab on their wrists had startled them in shock. They both gasped when she bolted upright and pushed them off into the wall, causing the medical equipment to stumble.

The female nurse became a little nervous when the doctor narrowed his eyes heatedly at the girl, who shoved the tray of prescription bottles and stood up to shield herself from his first strike of his knife towards her abdomen.