Chapter Thirty-One - Family

Spring

Four months had passed since I had found out about my father's affair. He was taken to the hospital by Jem, who also had to have his stitches checked out since they had reopened by trying to hold me back. Emily, my mother, and I stayed at the house.

My mother had known for quite some time about the affair. As it turns out, she had been filing for a divorce this whole time. For duration of Jem and Emily's visit, my bastard of a father stayed at a hotel. One morning, at the end of the week, Jem received a call from the police station in North Carolina. Tyson's guys had been caught. I could go home.

My mother and I hadn't spoken since my return to North Carolina. I didn't hate her, and she didn't blame me for what I had done, but I don't think either of us were ready to face each other. 

Jem got a girlfriend.

I walked in coming back from Emily's house to find a woman with light olive toned skin and green eyes with flecks of brown, hidden beneath dark layered bangs. I immediately recognized her, but from where I couldn't tell.

"Corren!" She yelped with delight in a French accent and ran over to hug me.

"Wait... don't I know you?" Confused didn't begin to describe how I felt.

Jem watched from the kitchen grinning.

"It's me! Kimberly! From the plane?"

Now it hit me. Back on my first flight to Jem's house I had thought Kim was a college student.

"What are you doing here?"

"Well," Jem walked over and placed an arm around Kim's waist. "Kim  and I have been seeing each other for some time. I decided it was time you two met."

I was in shock. "Wait, aren't you too young for him?"

Kim laughed. "Corren, I'm thirty-three."

Jem was in his early forties.

"Wow..." I said at loss for words. "The French age well..."

There was more laughter. We moved the gathering to the living room.

"How did you guys meet?" I asked.

"Kim treated me while I was in the hospital." Jem said, smiling at her.

"I'm a nurse you see. I loved this town so much that I moved here since the last time you and I met." Kim explained.

"That reminds me," Jem said, reaching over to the coffee table in front of us. He handed me a white envelope. "It's a letter from your mom."

I eyed the envelope for a second, then took it from Jem's grasp. "Do you mind if I..." I trailed off.

Jem nodded. "Go ahead."

I left the two of them and carried the letter up with me to my room. I closed the door behind me, and sat on my bed. I took a deep breath before opening the letter.

4/16/14

My dearest son,

I am a sorry excuse for a mother. Words cannot describe how sorry I am for neglect and pain I've caused this family. It was so hard to lose my first born, that I didn't realize I still had a family to live for. I've been diagnosed with chronic depression and I've received medication for it. I'm going to rehab, Corren. I've also gotten a therapist. I want to get better, and I'll do anything to prove that to you. Your father has signed the divorce papers. I kicked him out of the house after you left. You are welcome home anytime my son. I will always love you. I will become the mother you deserve. I swear it. Please come home. I love you.